Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 1st, 2013 06:00

ProSphere and Solaris SSH discovery

I've recently been involved in an SRM suite deployment at our site, which is mainly an Oracle Solaris SPARC shop. I've noticed ProSphere's SSH discovery process with Solaris hosts has a significant flaw. When you first create and then run an SSH discovery job, ProSphere pushes its utilities to /tmp/nl_dwd on the Solaris host. Solaris, by default, has /tmp configured to use swap (volatile RAM). So when the server reboots, or somebody deletes the /tmp/nl_dwd directory, all subsequent discovery jobs run, but do nothing on the host, collect no data and ProSphere does not push the utilities to the host again. The only workaround I have found is to delete the discovery job and re-create it within ProSphere, so that it pushes the utilities again. Obviously this is not viable in a large environment. My questions are: Is EMC aware of this issue? If so, when can we expect a fix? Is there a better workaround? Thanks, Paul.

11 Posts

March 5th, 2013 05:00

Steve, I've done some more testing on a few different hosts. I can see that ProSphere does re-push the INQ utilities, but it doesn't always need to as it doesn't always re-discover the HBA's. I'll mark this one as answered.

Thanks,

Paul.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 1st, 2013 09:00

Hi Paul

I'd like to get a little more detail on your question.  ProSphere will detect that our collection utilities are no longer present on the host and re-push them out via SSH.  This will occur at the next scheduled re-discovery interval, which is 24 hours for hosts.  So after initial discovery no host attribute information will change for 24 hours.  You can manually re-run the discovery job at any time and not have to wait for the 24 hour interval.

If you manually ran the discovery job or waited 24 hours and did not see updated host information then there is an issue and we would like to collect the disocvery log files from your ProSphere instance.

Also - we are planning to allow users to specify the location where ProSphere distributes it's collection utilities.  I don't have a specific date yet when that will be available though.

Thanks, Steve

11 Posts

March 4th, 2013 00:00

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I will try the discovery process on another Solaris server to be 100% certain. I'll report back once I do this.

Thanks,

Paul.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 22nd, 2013 05:00

I also experienced this case.

In my case, after the /tmp/nl_dwd directory was deleted by OS reboot;

a) The scheduled discovery job run, but the inq utility is not pushed.

b) The manual discovery in Object List pushes the inq utility.

Therefore the inq utility is not pushed again automatically.

I think this ProSphere specification should be changed.

Best Regards,

Keisuke

No Events found!