Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

August 19th, 2010 09:00

Dell Datasafe Local not working, New Inspiron 15r

Received New Inspiron 15r from Dell yesterday and the Dell datasafe online says that the recovery partition is missing or damaged and cannot create restore disks. In Disk management the recovery partition shows up but no way have I found to get Dell datasafe to recoginize. Please any help would be great. Also had to disable Dell Quickset becasue of a horrible delay in typing when going from caps locks to normal typing and in my apps for my business I use caps lock to normal typing alot.. Works turned off but now have no indication of when caps lock is on. Would love to have these problems solved. I have been a loyal Dell customer for 12 years and would like to continue to be but problems like this straight out of the box is not good. Please help.

• 

17K Posts

August 20th, 2010 10:00

mpblanton1,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Call Dell Support at 1-800-624-9896 and have them walk you through to resolve this issue. If not, they will need to send you the disk that you cannot create.

August 20th, 2010 11:00

I know thats what I need to do and probably will but just didn't have the time that it seems to take these day on a Dell support call. Will try the first of the week. Was hoping there was an easy solution so I didn't have to sit on the phone forever.

August 24th, 2010 17:00

I've also just received a new Inspiron 15R with Windows 7 and have the same issue with the datasafe program not recognising the recovery partition and hence not being able to create recovery disks.  This problem has been around for ages judging by posts here and in other fora but I can't find a solution.  Perhaps Dell recognise there is an issue because I found on dell.com a page where you could request a recovery disk directly from Dell.  However, it only works for US addresses; I can't find anything similar for UK.

4 Posts

August 26th, 2010 21:00

@Grahamderek:

Where on the dell site did you find that you can get a recovery disk from Dell?  I too am having the same problem, and they want to have a tech come out and reinstall the hard drive.  Frankly, I don't think it's a hard drive problem. 

Thnx!

August 29th, 2010 05:00

Hi Rengel165

Try

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=gen&redirect=1

I don't think it's a hard drive issue either, at least not a hardware one.  I think it's some incompatability between the installed Datasafe local and Windows 7 64 bit.  After hours on the phone to Dell, I'm no nearer a solution.  Dell UK is in denial - even when Dell take over the computer and try it themselves (and it doesn't work) the response is "you're doing something wrong".  I despair!

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

August 29th, 2010 06:00

My new Dell is two weeks old.  I am running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I created the 2 DVD's using DataSafe local. It took 3 DVD's because the first one gave me an error at the very end of the process, but the next two worked as they should have. I am sorry to hear that so many people have had problems with this. When I ordered my system, I expected issues with the DataSafe backups because I had read about it on these forums. The sales advisor told me that I am entitled to order the disks if DataSafe does not work. Perhaps you should see if you can purchase these from Dell.

4 Posts

August 29th, 2010 10:00

@grahamderek:

Thanks so much for the page reference for new backup disks.  If the new hard drive installation fails, I'll try this method, and of course, I'll keep everyone posted.  I'm so disappointed that Dell UK is not helping you the way they should......you should probably just use the built-in Windows backup if all else fails, or if you don't mind spending money, you could purchase a 3rd party software.

@Bugbatter:

Glad things are working for you...wish it were like that for everyone else!

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

August 30th, 2010 06:00

@Bugbatter:

Glad things are working for you...wish it were like that for everyone else!

I guess I was one of the lucky ones.

I'm going to save the link in case I learn of anyone else having a problem. Thanks.

No Events found!