Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

July 13th, 2006 01:00

Hard drive reformat-product code invalid

Due to some unknown act of God, my computer got a "corruption in the master boot record", and the hard drive had to be reformatted.  What I ended up with is my Dell as it came out of the box 2 years ago.  I went to set up Microsoft Office and it would not recognize the product key.  This is, I'm sure,because it has already recognized it once before.  Now what am I supposed to do?  I went to the Microsoft web site and they want $35 for a phone call or an e-mail.  Seems a little unfair to me.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jamie

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 13th, 2006 09:00

Are you using the product ID that came with the Office CD's? - not the Operating System product code.  Also, make sure you are reading the code correctly - common mistakes are interpreting a B for 8, etc - look closely at the ID.

2 Posts

July 13th, 2006 13:00

Alas, I am using the correct code.  I tried it again this morning.  It is the code right off the Microsoft Office CD that came with the computer.  The code that is right after the words "product key".
Am I going to have to spend $35 to contact Microsoft and get another product key?

Jamie

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

July 13th, 2006 15:00

jamielbx,

If you are receiving an error message what it is and what have you done immediately prior to receiving it? Are you trying to activate the suite?

You may be able to circumvent the $35 charge (which would probably be waived) by activating via telephone. See here.

No Events found!