Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

October 29th, 2016 09:00

Uninstalling Dell System Detect

From time to time, I use iOBit uninstaller to check existing programs, and sometimes find ones I've never seen before. This morning, it was Dell System Detect. I did some research and found out what it is, what it does and that it is a vulnerable program, so I wanted to uninstall it.

When iOBit does the second scan, it comes up with a lot of leftover appdata files and a warning comes up that says:

Warning! Multiple programs detected in the current directory. Please be careful when selecting items to delete.

The files are all under this directory, and there are approximate 60 of them.

C:\Users/MyName\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\DPH8J4AT.54N\6DK4VGY9.TZJ\DELL..TION_E30847F5D4A30E93_0006.0006_E3E278AC9F13D46\

(Hope I got all that right)

Is it safe to delete these files the regular uninstaller left behind?

2K Posts

October 29th, 2016 12:00

Hi DSA2591,

What is the exact system model? What is the current OS installed on the system?

The files in the local appdata folder are all temporary files stored by the programs / applications that are  installed on the system. So, yes it is safe to delete these files, however, I would suggest you to create a system restore point, such that in any case, if there is an issue with the system, you could always restore the machine back to its functional point.

Hope these links help - http://bit.ly/2fhDDa8 | http://bit.ly/2dYomoJ

Having said this, the Dell System Detect is a Dell application to detect the system details and check for any required updates on the system. So, it is your discretion whether or not you would want to remove this from your system.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

October 29th, 2016 15:00

Also know that System Detect can be reinstalled any time from the Dell Download and Drivers website when you want to check for drivers. I have found it best not to keep it on the computer. Just install it when you need it. Laptops rarely--almost never-- need driver updates and always must come from Dell.

13 Posts

October 29th, 2016 15:00

My laptop is three years old, and it seems none of my hardware is being updated anymore, so I just completely uninstalled it.

2K Posts

October 29th, 2016 17:00

Hi DSA2591,

Thank you for the update.

At this point, I would again advise you to create a system restore point, so you could always revert when required.

Should you need any info / help, contact us anytime.

No Events found!