Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2006 15:00

"Includes Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD"

Most (if not all) of the new Dells have this notice. Dell is selling computers without word processing software?

I know I can download AbiWord for free so it's no big deal. But what's the point of not including MS Word on new computers?

11.9K Posts

December 20th, 2006 15:00

snow scorpion wrote:
Most (if not all) of the new Dells have this notice. Dell is selling computers without word processing software?

I know I can download AbiWord for free so it's no big deal. But what's the point of not including MS Word on new computers?

Microsoft Works INCLUDES word processing software.  The notice is so people don't complain afterwards that they thought they were getting Word.  Works 8 and Works Suite are different and it was confusing.

If you want Word, go buy Office for Students and Teachers for $125 or so which includes Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint for THREE COMPUTERS.

December 20th, 2006 18:00

"... and it was confusing."

Confusing is right. Dell's website says Microsoft Works 8 does not include MS Word. But Microsoft's website says Works 8 DOES include MS Word.

http://www.microsoft.com/products/works/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=002

As I understand it Works Suite 2006 contains 6 programs:
1. works 8
2. money 2006 standard
3. encarta encyclopedia standard
4. streets & trips 2006 essentials
5. digital image 2006 standard
6. MS word 2002

And Works 8 contains:
Word processor
spreadsheet
database
email
Internet Explorer
Calendar
powerpoint

rickmktg, I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I'm just trying to make sense of all of this.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 20th, 2006 19:00

MS Works Suite does contain Word, but that's not the package that now comes free with Dell computers.

11.9K Posts

December 20th, 2006 22:00

snow scorpion wrote:
"... and it was confusing."

Confusing is right. Dell's website says Microsoft Works 8 does not include MS Word. But Microsoft's website says Works 8 DOES include MS Word.

No it doesn't, see below.

http://www.microsoft.com/products/works/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=002

As I understand it Works Suite 2006 contains 6 programs:
1. works 8
2. money 2006 standard
3. encarta encyclopedia standard
4. streets & trips 2006 essentials
5. digital image 2006 standard
6. MS word 2002

And Works 8 contains:
Word processor  - but this isn't Word, it's a word processor.  Doesn't say MS Word anywhere...
spreadsheet
database
email  No, but Outlook Express is part of Windows. 
Internet Explorer  No, but IE is part of Windows. 
Calendar
powerpoint  No, PowerPoint VIEWER.  Big difference. 

rickmktg, I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I'm just trying to make sense of all of this.

4.4K Posts

December 22nd, 2006 01:00

11.9K Posts

December 22nd, 2006 09:00

Bay Wolf wrote:

Same link as provided above a day before...  :smileywink:

December 23rd, 2006 19:00

Ok, thanks. It's probably that WordPad program in Works 8.

Dell should probably make it clear to potential customers that Works 8 and Works Suite 2006 are two different products that contain different programs. The note "Includes Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD" is too vague to make sense to anyone who isn't thoroughly familiar MS products.

Thanks everyone.

11.9K Posts

December 23rd, 2006 22:00

snow scorpion wrote:
Ok, thanks. It's probably that WordPad program in Works 8.

Dell should probably make it clear to potential customers that Works 8 and Works Suite 2006 are two different products that contain different programs. The note "Includes Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD" is too vague to make sense to anyone who isn't thoroughly familiar MS products.

Thanks everyone.
WordPad is part of XP.

Works8 includes Works wordprocessor.

The confusion and ambiguity is due to our friends in Seattle.

4.4K Posts

December 24th, 2006 00:00

rickmktg wrote:

Bay Wolf wrote:

Same link as provided above a day before...  :smileywink:

Yes sir.  And it will probably be needed again unless the search function is used.  :smileytongue:
No Events found!