Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

June 3rd, 2009 03:00

Arrow in Window frame title bar when multiple monitors are connected

Hi,

when I connect multiple screens to my Latitude E6400 I see get a blue arrow in the title bar of each window (see attached image). I would like to disable this because it's of no use to me and sometimes even creates problems because windows are pushed outside of the extended desktop (specifically when you change the monitor arrangements in the display properties). It also looks ridiculous on modern window layouts.

I checked with Intel to see if it comes from their "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for mobile" but they're saying they have never seen this.

Does anybody know how to disable this?

Thanks,

Carsten

1 Attachment

June 9th, 2009 04:00

I had the same problem. I got rid of it by a process of elimination - I killed processes until the arrow disappeared. The process that creates it is hkcmd.exe from Intel, and is the hot key manager for changing graphics properties. Remove this process from the list in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run   and you'll be fine. You can test ahead of this change by simply killing the running process.

12 Posts

February 25th, 2010 00:00

I have the same issue with my D630. I thought the problem was UltraMon, but it was hkcmd.exe. Thank you!

1 Message

August 4th, 2010 06:00

-- Remove this process from the list in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Which list are your referring to?  Thanks!

November 9th, 2010 14:00

Hi,

when I connect multiple screens to my Latitude E6400 I see get a blue arrow in the title bar of each window (see attached image). I would like to disable this because it's of no use to me and sometimes even creates problems because windows are pushed outside of the extended desktop (specifically when you change the monitor arrangements in the display properties). It also looks ridiculous on modern window layouts.

I checked with Intel to see if it comes from their "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for mobile" but they're saying they have never seen this.

Does anybody know how to disable this?

Thanks,

Carsten

I've been waiting for the answer, It's very long now, Would you pls post it here? Have you got the answer?

1 Message

June 28th, 2011 21:00

on error resume next

strComputer = "."

'------------------------------------------------------------------

'remove key

Const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002

Set oReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & _
    strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")

strKeyPath = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
strStringValueName = "HotKeysCmds"

oReg.DeleteValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,strKeyPath,strStringValueName

'Stop process

strProcessKill = "'hkcmd.exe'"

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
& "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" _
& strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Set colProcess = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
("Select * from Win32_Process Where Name = " & strProcessKill )
For Each objProcess in colProcess
    objProcess.Terminate()
Next

on error goto 0

1 Message

December 19th, 2011 09:00

As an alternative to disabling hkcmd, you can just set Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Intel\Display\igfxcui\hkcmd  value  EnableMovingWindow = 0.

Having said that, the hot key functions I have available are pretty useless, so you might as well disable the whole program.  Note that unticking "Enable Hot Keys" does not stop hkcmd.exe running, merely renders it completely useless as far as I can tell.

Readers of this thread might be interested in www.actualtools.com/multiplemonitors, which I am currently trying out.

No Events found!