Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

October 27th, 2016 08:00

Can't download Windows Recovery Image - Tech Support refuses to help

Hi All,

All I'm trying to do is download the Windows Recovery Image for my XPS8700 from support.dell.com. I select the image, enter my service tag and the verification code, and receive the following error: "Recovery image currently unavailable. The recovery image download could not be generated due to missing information. Please contact technical support for assistance."

So I did what the error message said and contacted technical support. However, since my system is out of warranty, they refused to help me. Apparently it doesn't matter that I'm not asking for help with the system, only for help obtaining the file from their broken website as directed by the error message -_-

Anyone know how to grab the file by some other means?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

October 27th, 2016 10:00

No need to bother with the Windows 8.1 .iso from Dell. Download the Windows 10 RS1 .iso from Microsoft instead. It'll automatically pickup your OEM key from your UEFI BIOS and input it during installation. See here for more details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/ 

7 Posts

October 27th, 2016 09:00

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the response. The system originally shipped with Windows 8 which I later upgraded to Windows 10. Windows 10 would be great but Windows 8 would be fine as well. I really just want a stable system at this point.

I tried using the DBAR application but received an error about the image being corrupted. I've been fighting random BSODs (both in my original Windows 10 upgrade and in a clean install with nothing installed) and was hoping to try my luck with a stock Dell image.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

October 27th, 2016 09:00

Hi BMalin,

Thanks for posting.

Which operating system are you attempting to recover?  And have you tried the DBAR program?  Here's the link. 

7 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 15:00

My issue ended up not being a Windows issue, but rather a bad memory slot on the mobo. Awesome guide though Philip. I created both UEFI and non-UEFI USB drives with it. Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

November 5th, 2016 19:00

Thanks for letting us know. :)

No Events found!