Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2014 00:00

DELL software restoration CD

Hello,

I bought a Dell XPS 8700 with windows 7 pro 64bit in Namibia, Africa. It was delivered without the DELL software restoration CD and the Windows license number. Now I live in Madagascar and the PC has crashed and needs a rebuilt. I contacted the reseller in Namibia and the reseller in South Africa to request a copy of DELL software restoration CD and they both told me they cannot ship to Madagascar, even if I pay the shipping.

Now, I have a new computer that I can't use!!! I bought a Dell thinking I could find assistance worldwide which is not the case.

Does anyone know how I can get a new DELL software restoration CD?

Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 16th, 2014 01:00

You can however download Windows 7 from Digital River:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/windows-7-sp1-iso-download/

You can install without using a product key and use the ABR program for product activation:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/microsoft-product-activation/the-activation-backup-and-recovery-program-windows-vista-7-version/

This gives the same product ID and activation mechanism as the Dell Windows 7 Reinstallation DVD.

See A Clean Install of Windows for more details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/

June 16th, 2014 02:00

Thank you for responding.

Your solution is way too complicated for me, added that here in Madagascar, you can't download big files so easily because of the internet connection. Also, if it had to happen again, I'd rather have the dvd with me to avoid remaining 2 weeks without working!

I read on Dell website that they propose to resend this Dvd, so i would like this option even paying a new license and the delivery. How to do?

255 Posts

June 18th, 2014 07:00

When you say 'crashed' do you mean the OS crashed?  If the hard drive is still intact and functioning, you could try hitting F8 at the BIOS (Dell Logo) screen during startup and choosing the recovery option to restore your factory image.

15 Posts

June 19th, 2014 00:00

Thank you I forgot myself how to access the recovery feature. Unfortunately for me the hard drive was replaced with OS. ( when it was under warranty )

Anyway you reminded me just after I posted a reply so I wanted to say thanks for the reminder on how to access the recovery feature myself. 

15 Posts

June 19th, 2014 00:00

Just a suggestion but if you can call DELL talk to an actual person for help as a lot on here just link you back and forth.. I bought a new  unit myself in November  contacted them and at no charge was sent the system disk and drivers disk. I did it online but can't remember how.

Also any time you purchase online make sure in request a disk with the unit next time. Regardless what brand it might be.  Dell is usually good with giving you a disk if you just ask. I am in th U.S. so maybe trickier for you but worth a try.

When I ordered my windows 7 unit almost 3 years ago I made it appoint to have a disk include though it did cost a little extra to include. 

Just curious did your unit come with factory restore one in otherwise known as dell backup and recovery?  If so you could try using that to recover to factory image. I forget how to access it from startup unfortunately and my windows 7 unit had the hard drive replaced ( no image on the replacement ) 

Anyway try to call them and get a person on the phone. They have been more helpful when calling. 

No Events found!