Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2014 06:00

Dell Backup and Recovery - "An error occurred during System Backup creation"

I have a Dell XPS-8700 running Windows 7.  I purchased the Dell Backup and Recovery Premium Edition.

I have been able to create a bootable backup (Rescue Disks) and I can create a Data Backup onto my external hard drive.  However, whenever I try to create a System Backup onto my external hard drive, after about three seconds into the process, it returns: "An error occurred during System Backup creation" .

How can I create a System Backup?  Why am I getting this error?

63 Posts

September 7th, 2014 08:00

Thanks for all the info. My situation sounds very similar to yours.

I removed DBR using Add/REMOVE programs in Control Panel and it removed cleanly.

Downloaded v1.7.1.2 and performed fresh install.

When I ran it, it had my Premium license key so it must have still been in registry and wasn't removed by uninstall.

As before, Rescue Disk ran and installed new partition (DBR_BOOT) on WD Passport.

But, System Backup immediately stopped with target location disconnected, missing or full. Tried multiple times.....

In any case, sounds like you solved your problem, so you as OP should this mark this post/thread as answered. I will continue posting on my other thread.

14 Posts

August 31st, 2014 12:00

I have a Inspiron 2330 All in One with Windows 8.1 and have experienced the same problem. I was able to resolve it by closing the PC down and then re opening it. I had had the problem previously when I first purchased it and had Windows 8 installed and from memory Dell Support corrected the problem by doing this. Hope this is of help?

63 Posts

September 3rd, 2014 11:00

Same problem here:

Optiplex 9020 Win 7 Pro x64

DBR v 1.7.1.2

Factory Install USB/DVDs - OK

Rescue Disk on external HDD - OK

System Backup on external HDD (E:) - fails immediately and says "Location not Found"
.  Tried multiple times... Currently discussing in other thread...

TO: mcunney (OP) - I see you posted 8/12... Did you solve this on your Win7 and how didi you do it?

What version DBR are you runnning?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 3rd, 2014 12:00

Use Windows 7 backup and  Restore to create the system image on an external hard drive instead of Dell's program.

63 Posts

September 3rd, 2014 13:00

Thanks for follow-up.

So in your case you had Dell DBR AND the Western Digital Backup software installed on your Win7 machine and they were conflicting...

In my case no other backup software (except standard Win7 backup) installed.

What version is your DBR?

Have you ever run the DBR software update option under the '?' pulldown?

While I don't have WD Backup software, I do have a WD utility called "Quick View" that gives tray icon to monitor some WD network drives. But, it also monitors the WD Passport when connected and gives the ability to cleanly disconnect the WD Passport from the USB port... (it is process WDDMStatus.exe I believe).  I wonder if it could be conflicting....

Did you kill a process or was there a cleaner way to stop your WD Backup software?

63 Posts

Did that also. But, thats not the solution when you want what you paid for to work

DBR creates an exact disk image including the Dell partition.....  So want DBR to work since I paid for it.

Used similar product on Fujitsu laptop and it works perfectfly.  Ability to recreate exact HD image if HD fails.  DBR should be able to do same...

13 Posts

I had an Western Digital external hard drive running their backup sofware.  When I disabled the Western Digital backup software, the Dell Backup Software executed properly.

13 Posts

September 3rd, 2014 17:00

I am running Dell Backup and Recovery Premium Edition, Version 1.7.1.2.

My Western Digital Backup Software is SmartWare, a real time process that dynamically backups data files.  I disabled it by opening up the process window from the tray icon and hitting the "disable backup" menu choice.

63 Posts

September 5th, 2014 09:00

I am also running DBR Premium 1.7.1.2.  Its a new machine with little app software added (MS Office, Chrome)

No backup software other than Win7 and Dell DBR.

My WD software is just QuickView, not the full Smartware package.

Did try stopping all WD processes, but still not working.

Question:  How did you get to v1.7.1.2??  Did you install or did it get updated from original install?

For example,  my PC came with DBR v1.6.0.3 installed.  I ran the update cmd (using "?" in upper right), which

took it to 1.6.2.4 (or something like that..).  When I immediately ran the update again it said new version available which surprised me...

I then clicked the Premium link and paid the money and it loaded the Premium key automatically (I never had to type in from email receipt).

Then ran update again and it went from v1.6.2.4 to v1.7.1.2 and the "?"/About shows Premium and v1.7.1.2.

Beginning to suspect update didn't work and I have corrupt install requiring Add/REMOVE Programs followed by fresh install of v1.7.1.2.

What was your update path like?

13 Posts

September 7th, 2014 05:00

I upgraded to Dell Premium Backup and Restore by following the prompts from the original Dell Backup software that was installed on the machine (I didn't record the original version number).  I paid for it, downloaded it and installed it.  It was a very simple process.  I don't think I had to enter the key that I was sent by email either.

3 Posts

October 24th, 2015 19:00

I installed Backup-and-Recovery_Application_64M9D_WN32_1.8.1.71_A00 as Dell Datasafe got uninstalled in my machine.
It completed 'Creating the base image' successfully but shows error in 'Preparing Hard Disk' and uninstalls the program. I tried multiple times but gets same error.

I ran this program without connecting external hard disk. Hope I need to connect external hard disk only to create recovery media.

Plz Help !

No Events found!