Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 10th, 2012 11:00

Dell Data Safe Says Computer Not On-Line

I have a new Dell computer (XPS 8500) that I purchased in Aug 2012.  Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 in October.  For the past six weeks when I log into my Dell Data Safe account I cannot purge any files, do any backups, or change the settings.  I keep getting an error message that the computer is not on line.  I don't know if upgrading to Windows 8 caused this problem or not.  How can I be on-line but not the computer.  Is there a way to fix this?  I am about ready to go with Windows 8 SkyDrive and drop Dell Data Safe.  But I would like to purge all of my files on Dell Data Safe before doing so.   

December 10th, 2012 12:00

I went ahead and added the same computer again.  I was then able to delete the other computer which had the files on them. 

3 Apprentice

• 

710 Posts

December 13th, 2012 03:00

Hi Steve,

After changing the Operating System, the earlier computer account added to Dell Data Safe Online may appear as offline; this is by design. This happens as all the registry connections for that account are deleted. The computer needs to be added again; however with a 'computer name' which is different from the one that you used previously. Also share if the 'Data safe online portal' displays more than 1 systems, when you log in.

Note: Do not remove the current profile, this will remove all of the data previously backed up. (From your second post, it appears that you've already deleted the original computer; It is likely that the data associated with that computer may also be lost; however please try the steps listed below to see if that helps)

If you encounter the error 'PC is offline' or appears to be stuck processing a backup, please try the following steps:
Change the 'advanced power settings' to the following options:
- Open the 'power settings' for the computer
- Hard Drive: Never
- System Standby: Never
- System Hibernate: Never
- Next open 'Device Manager' and go to the 'network card' and click 'properties'
- Then go to the 'Power Management tab' and remove the check mark next to “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"
- Reboot the computer check to see if the computer is now listed as online
- It it is not listed as online, click on 'Add computer'
- You will get a 'download button'
- Download the software and install the setup file; this overwrites the software

In case of any doubt, please share the account related details so that I may help you further. I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on 'Friends' tab at the top and then click on 'Request to Review' and finally click on 'Accept' button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on 'Inbox' to respond to the message and provide the required information so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

No Events found!