Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 10th, 2012 17:00

Fail to install driver (Vostro 1000)

So I have this old fart of a Vostro 1000 (with WinVista) that I thought I'd try to update some things on, since it's kinda slow these days.
I started out with the driver for the graphics card (some ATI Radeon Xpress series), and went to AMD's website to find some detecting tool to get the right driver, since I wasn't too sure about the exact details. Found one, ran it and it found an upgrade available. In the end, the install failed, and it turns out it wasn't compatible at all, and the current driver got an error 43 or so and doesn't work properly.

Now I've been sitting for 3-4 hours trying to fix this, but to no avail. But at least I managed to "upgrade" (hardly) to a Standard VGA Graphic something (sorry, haven't checked the details for a while, and it's in Norwegian as well), and it's slightly better, but the resolution is still wrong. After a while I also FINALLY found the standard ATI driver (for Xpress 1150?) on Dell's sites.
Trying to install this, it tells me it can't install, and that I should try installing a standard VGA whatever first.. which I already have.

So. What do?

December 11th, 2012 03:00

Hi

Just to make sure you are trying the correct driver, I will send you the direct link here: ftp.dell.com/.../R169722.EXE

Please let me know the status, when you have tried the above driver.

Thanks.

Best regards

Karina

3 Posts

December 11th, 2012 08:00

Yeah, that worked much better! :D Everything seems to be be okay now.

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 11th, 2012 14:00

If your system is running slow A Clean installation as illustrated in my wiki A Clean Install of Windows Vista:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/3327.1-2-a-clean-install-of-windows-vista-on-dell-systems.aspx

will help alot.

You could also replace your hard drive with a solid state hard drive for higher performance.

Alternatively if you can get your hands on Windows 7 the performance will again be superior.

3 Posts

December 11th, 2012 14:00

Yeah, that was my original idea since it's seems the best, and I probably will at some point, but right now I figured I'd try some driver upgrades (but staying away from that right now, too..).

So right now, I'll deal with it as it is, but I will save your guide for later, thank you! :)

(While i'm still writing here, a quick question.. I started reading the guide, and came to step 2, and the COA. Is there any other places to find the code? I didn't really look at it while I was looking for the service code, but it seemed pretty washed out when I glanced over it)

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 11th, 2012 15:00

No unfortunately not... Its something I have complained about for some time.

However Windows 8 has now done away with COAs completely so the issue is kind of obsolete although I still suggested to Dell to have the product keys typed in the BIOS information (just in case) whether they will adopt this idea or not I don't know.

In your case however the COA is faded and a Dell Reinstallation DVD must be used for reinstallation of Windows; if a Dell Reinstallation DVD is installed via a Dell BIOS these shouldn't prompt for a product key and should automatically activate.

1 Message

March 8th, 2013 07:00

I had the same issue as Reila after installing Windows 8 on my Vostro 1000 because Vista was getting so slow. Windows 8 installation apparently discarded the old driver. This download has sorted the graphics. Thank you. :)

No Events found!