Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2009 18:00

FastAccess Facial Recognition software, Windows 7 x64 bit, and Studio XPS integrated WebCam camera

I just received a new Studio XPS laptop with integrated webcam, running Windows 7 x64.  The FastAccess facial recognition software does not work consistently.  sometimes no image is displayed in the image box; it will be black with either a green or red border.  Also, it is eating up about 20% of my CPU time when idle; if I 'Disable FastAccess Temporarily' the usage drops right down.

When I called support (I called the day I received the laptop) I was told that the integrated webcam may not be compatible with Windows 7 x64.  I was also told that I needed to call Dell's advanced software support line, and that I would be charged for the call. 

So, in other words, Dell sold me a laptop with incompatible hardware and software, and expects me to pay for service to take care of it?  I hope that is not the case.

Anybody out there that can point me in the right direction?  The FastAccess software does not show up in the software downloads area for my laptop.  I don't believe the integrated webcam driver was there either.

Thanks in advance

211 Posts

February 25th, 2010 09:00

Thanks for doing the additional checking. Sorry for the frustration. Sadly, if there was something "ridiculously simple" to suggest, I would have already suggested it.

My last question for now is, are you running IE 32bit or 64bit? The former is supported, the latter is not.

If that doesn't do it, send me a private message and I may be able to provide additional support through normal email. Of course anything that we learn together I would be happy to share back here on the forum.

February 25th, 2010 16:00

March 3rd, 2010 20:00

Don't know how or why or what was the exact resolution but I just switched from McAfee to Norton security and now everything works fine....

211 Posts

March 4th, 2010 05:00

That is indeed interesting. Thank you very much for sharing the resolution. What really confuses me is why disabling McAffee didn't improve the situation, but de-installing it did. Regardless, I will suggest to our testing team that we replicate your setup for further investigation. If I find anything relevant I'll share it back here, but thanks again for the good work.

211 Posts

March 16th, 2010 11:00

Hi,

I have just recently bought a Studio XPS 13 with Win 7 64-bit and I am experiencing the issues logged at the beginning of this thread. Did I read correctly that this software is not supported on 64-bit Win 7?

Thanks

FastAccess fully supports Win7 64 bit with version 2.4.7.

1 Message

March 16th, 2010 11:00

Hi,

I have just recently bought a Studio XPS 13 with Win 7 64-bit and I am experiencing the issues logged at the beginning of this thread. Did I read correctly that this software is not supported on 64-bit Win 7?

Thanks

3 Posts

August 20th, 2011 11:00

Hi!  I have a Dell 1557 which has an i7 core processor, an integrated webcam, and is running Windows 7 64 bit (it came this way).  Fast Access, the facial recognition software, rarely (< 1% of the time) recognized me until I checked for product updates.  After updating the product, the software was able to recognize me.  Then I bought the upgrade for the software and things got even better.  Does you webcam work correctly in other situations?  If the webcam has seemingly been working correctly, then I would work under the assumption that the facial recognition software is at fault.  If there is no update available (for free), you may want to uninstall it and reinstall the software and then make sure you have the most up to date software (perhaps a file has become corrupt and is causing you problems).

I think that the components and software you have are meant to work together; my computer is very similar to the computer that you have and Fast Access is currently running on my computer without any real problems.

I hope this answer helps you and reassures you.  I, too, have sometimes received somewhat conflicting information from technical support but lately I have been pretty lucky.  Good luck and I hope you can get your problem resolved.

1 Message

October 29th, 2012 15:00

Use this: downloadstore.dell.com/media, here you will find the dell software that may help you. Some work and the one that doesn't is the Facial Recognition windows 7 x64.

35 Posts

October 30th, 2012 06:00

Thanks Arleen - that link is a great resource. You may also go to smartsource.dell.com (which I believe your link may actually forward to - at least it did for me). This site should provide all the software that came originally on your Dell computer. The one small addition that I would offer is that it should also provide you with FastAccess face recognition software, but only (of course) if that software came originally on your computer to begin with. Some computers had it included as a bundled item, others had it as a premium (i.e. paid) upgrade. 

Let me know if there's anything else we can do to help. 

1 Message

June 2nd, 2016 13:00

I am not able to use FastAccess.  The problem might be that some time ago, I loaded Windows 10 on my computer, but had to revert to Windows 7, because 10 is not compatible with the Paperport function on the printer (1355cnw).  It may be that in switching back to Windows 7, some program bits were lost.  It shows the icon for FastAccess, but there is no green line around the black picture box.  I called Dell tech service, but they want me to pay to get it fixed.  Any procedure you can furnish to solve the problem would be appreciated.

13 Posts

November 4th, 2016 01:00

I have Fast Access software and going to try and paste the 3 files you will need to reinstall FastAccess 2.4.8.. Just as soon as I can figure out how to post Dell Software on here.

1 Attachment

No Events found!