Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 10th, 2008 17:00

File Permissions for Word 2003

I did a clean reinstall of Windows XP and had to reinstall MS Office 2003.  In using the newly installed Word I am running into a file permissions problem.  I saved a .Doc file to a 3 1/2" floppy in the A:\ drive and removed the floppy.  Later I reloaded the file from the floppy and modified it, saved it to the same floppy and then tried to save it again to a different floppy as a Backup.

When I try to save it I get the error message, "Word cannot complete the save due to a file perimissions error (A:\XXX.doc".).

1st, I didn't even know this feature existed in Word.  It never showed up in the old installation.

2nd, When I try to load it into the Task Bar and/or File Menu, it is grayed out and non functional.  What Can I do to either remove the File Permissions feature or get control over it?

1.7K Posts

July 10th, 2008 19:00

It's not often that people use floppy disks anymore, but...

First rule is never save to a floppy disk. Save to your My Documents folder, then copy the file to a floppy. Word creates a temporary file on the diskette and, if the file is not fully saved (or even if it is at times) another access to the file will be prevented.

Second, you should always format a diskette before usage when using Windows XP (or later) as the original format may cause problems.

So, try to copy the file from the floppy to the My Documents folder, edit/change the file, save it to the My Documents folder, then find it, right click and choose Send To, 3 1/2 floppy (A:)

22 Posts

July 10th, 2008 20:00

Allan,

Hmm...Interesting.  It didn't work that way in my original installation of Word 2003 from the Factory.  I used the backup CDs of Office 2003 to reinstall it in my clean reinstall of Windows XP.  But I did upgrade it to the latest MS Update.  What's different?

The reason I want to go directly to the floppy is for security.  I didn't want a copy of this material on the HD, even though I can password save it to the HD.  Passwords are easy to crack with available Software.

Is there a way to change Word so I can save directly to Floppies w/o this issue?

Anyhow, Why can't I access Permissions on the File Menu?  It's there but grayed out.  What do I need to do to activate it?   

Thanks for the info.  It does work.

NoBootJack

1.7K Posts

July 10th, 2008 22:00

To use permissions, you need Information Rights Management, which is an "extra" for Word and requires a server.

To get around your issue, copy to the HD, make the edits, copy to the floppy, delete from HD.

You may be better off using a flash drive (USB key, as some call it).

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

July 10th, 2008 23:00

See if this will work, after you save the fille as A:\myfile.doc, use Save As and save it as B:\myfile.doc. Word should prompt you to insert the floppy into drive B. Pop out the original floppy and put the new one in the drive. You may have to swap the 2 disks back/forth for a while if the file is big and Word can't hold all of it in RAM at once.

If this doesn't work, you can always use a secure shreder (like the one included in the free Spybot Search & Destroy) to wipe all traces of the file off the hard drive after you're done editing it.

Must be pretty secret stuff if you're worried about somebody cracking the password to your loveletters. ;)

Ron 

22 Posts

July 11th, 2008 04:00

Allan,

Thanks for the primer on IRM.  I vaguely knew about IRM but not many details. 

Well, I tried your method of savng to the HD and then sending to A:\ multiple times.  It works! and I had to do only initially.   Then I could save directly to the BU floppies.  This workaround is all Ineed for doing what I want. I'll find a war to use it.

22 Posts

July 11th, 2008 05:00

Ron,

Saving as B:\myfile.doc doesn't work, as I suspected, because I don't have a B:\ drive.  I get a "The drive "B:" is not a valid drive.

I have Spybot Search & Destroy but it doesn't include a secure shreder.  It must be a separate download.  I'll check Spybot.

Loveletters?  I'll never tell!:manvery-happy:

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

July 11th, 2008 17:00

I don't have B: drive either, but if I do as mentioned in my previous post, XPpro says "Insert disk for drive B". I swap out the floppy from drive A and put the new one in the same drive. XP is happy and copies the file to the new disk.

Secure Shredder, and a bunch of other very useful stuff, is 'hidden' in Spybot. Do this:

On the very top toolbar click MODE>ADVANCED

Click OK to their stupid warning message

Several new buttons will appear on left edge of the screen

Click Tools button and look for Secure Shredder option

The default number of shreds is 5 but you can increase it if you're concerned. 6 shreds is the DoD security standard. But more shreds increases the time it takes, especially if a large file. Now drag the file from its current folder into the shredder window and click "chop it away" button.

Once a file is gone, it's gone so use this at your own risk. I take no responsibility if you shred the wrong file! ;)

As added bit of caution, make sure Word hasn't saved a backup or .tmp version of your file on the hard drive that might be recoverable. 

<>  

Now relax, the world is safe again! :D

Ron

Message Edited by RoHe on 07-11-2008 11:15 AM
No Events found!