Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2004 00:00

From OUtlook Express to Outlook 2000

I want to move out address books from Outlook Express to Outlook 2000. There are lots of instructions on how to do this, including MS KB Papers. However, my wife and I have different "identities" (profiles?) in OEX, with different e-mail and contacts. I have not seen anything addressing this situation. Is there a way to do this so that my stuff ends up in an Outlook profile for me and hers also ends up in a separate OL profile? I tried importing the OEX stuff into OL and I think I got just my own stuff, but I haven't checked that carefully. And is there a way, as in OEX, to have a "shared" list of contacts--for example so we can print ONE address book for the two of us but still have our own e-mail accounts?

255 Posts

September 9th, 2004 04:00

I have an OL profile for myself and one (no longer used) for connecting to my firm's Exchange Server via Dial-up. When I "imported" stuff from OEX it is clear that I got my e-mail (not the wife's) and my contacts (not hers) but without trying. If I set up a profile for her and do the import routine again, will she end up with her mail and contacts?

2.5K Posts

September 11th, 2004 05:00

Good question, Joe.  I haven't tried this before, but was your OE Identity the main/default identity during the import?  If so, try making your dearest's OE Identity the default before you start importing to her OL Profile.

255 Posts

September 13th, 2004 17:00

Thanks! That seemed to work. However, as is often the case with MS, it spawned new problems. First, I found OL would open only with the bride's profile, even though it was set to Always Prompt for Profile. Then I restarted the PC thinking I would finally get the prompt and I could use my profile. Instead I got a message to insert my OL (or was it Office) SR-1 discs. After tossing in all the discs, upgrades and the like it appears that the machine meant to ask for the original Office CD. Anyway, I now have OL installed for Internet Mail only (I used to use OL in conjunction with our firms Microsoft Exchange Server via a dialup but no longer). Now there are no profiles--just me, although I see that OL now has both our e-mail accounts (Tools, Options, Mail Delivery, Accounts) and e-mail for both of us now shows up in the same inbox. Which is not good at all!

Is there a way to set OL up for both of us to use? I don't know if we really want "profiles". We would like separate e-mail, meaning separate Inbox, Draft and Sent folders etc., and any outgoing e-mail should automatically identify the actual sender (i.e., she does not want to send an e-mail that looks like it came from me, and I don't want mine to look like it is from her). A shared Contacts list is probably OK, although maybe she would want her own separate Contacts list, too. We DO want to print out a shared paper phone book to keep by the phone (not one for me and one for her). And I have carefully avoided the term Address Book since that appears to be something else that I don't understand. (We would think of the Outlook Contacts as the Address Book but I think this is probably wrong. If we have to restart OL to use it separately that will be fine. But we don't want to have to reboot the computer each time.

2.5K Posts

September 14th, 2004 16:00

Profiles is the only way to do handle separate "users" in OL, which, for OL 2000, is only available through Corporate or Workgroup (CW) config.  You can switch to CW mode by going to Tools > Options > Mail Delivery.  Please make sure you have your Office setup CD ready.  I never had problems with switching Profiles or being prompted for one (I have stopped using Profiles), but you could try to making the switch manually and see if OL would comply.

1. Exit OL.
  2. Go to Control Panel > Mail.
  3. Change to the Profile OL would open by default.

In order for OL to use a Contacts folder (and you can have more than one) as an address book, the Outlook Address Book service must be running.  If you are running CW mode, you can check if the service is there by going to Tools > Services, and make sure Outlook Address Book is listed.  If not, click the Add button to add the service.

You mentioned there might be a need to share Contacts, but even Profiles won't be able to achieve this objective.  Is there a reason why both of you must be on OL?  Can one of you use OL and the other OE?  The reason for OL/OE combo is that gives the option in Windows Address Book (WAB) to share Contacts if OE user so desires.  To enable Contacts sharing, open WAB, then Tools > Options.  Restart WAB for the change to take effect.

With Internet-Mail Only (IMO) mode, there is no Profiles or Identities as on OE, but all is not lost if you are willing to accept a change to how you interact with you email.

1. Create an separate Inbox for both users (note the new inboxes cannot be called Inbox for obvious reason).  One of you may use the existing Inbox, while the other user uses the new "Inbox".
  2. Create Rules to move email that comes in via each email account to the appropriate inbox.  I prefer this rule over a recipient based one since the email gets redirected regardless of recipients as long as it comes in via the same account.
  3. Tools > Option > Preferences.  Click Email Options button.  Click Advanced Email Options button.  Enable the option to save replies with original message (other than the original Inbox).

Now when email comes in via either account, it will get moved to the appropriate "inbox" folder and when responding to the email, the reply will be saved in the same "inbox" folder and should be sent out using the email account through which the original email was retrieved, plus you can have a shared Contacts folder (the existing Contacts folder) as address book, as well as additional Contacts folders for personal use separately.  Unfortunately, everything else (Calendar, Notes, Tasks, etc.) gets shared as well.  Not very elegant, I know.

Message Edited by esquire on 09-15-2004 02:17 AM

255 Posts

September 15th, 2004 02:00

And I thought this would be pretty simple and straight-forward!

We have been using OE for our personal e-mail--because of the separate identities it worked well enough. But otherwise, OE is awfully primitive compared to OL. My wife, a physician, has three personal address books: an OE Addressbook, a second separate one for her palm/phone, and a third one down in the kitchen--the basic old fashioned little phone directory with everything entered by hand over 20 years, tons of things crossed out and many of the pages falling out). (And at the teaching hospital where she works I expect she has yet another--for their e-mail system.) She wants to simplify the personal stuff--but not at the expense of her independence, if you get my drift.

On the other hand I have been using OL for my law practice (through a corporate network) for years. I have far more control over e-mail formatting, signatures, etc. And I also use it for my work address book (Before I got my high-tech cell phone/palm pilot that synchs with OL and gets my corporate e-mail I used to print the address book out every month or so and keep a copy handy in the car and in my briefcase) and calendar. My secretary finally gave up keeping a paper calendar and rolodex for me. So I thought OL was the way to go for the personal stuff. How naive!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to think about the whole thing. I might be able to restore the setup for CW and go the Profiles route even though there is really no Exchange Server to connect with anymore (we now access our corporate e-mail through MS Remote terminal and Outlook Web Access through the internet).

2.5K Posts

September 15th, 2004 08:00

I see now why both of you want to switch to OL.  I agree OE is very primitive - most PDAs don't even synchronize to Windows Address Book by default. 

Personally, I have always preferred CW mode (and I don't connect to an Exchange server either) since it gives me more control over OL services than IMO mode does - most single user I know prefer IMO, but the pain in choosing CW and IMO disappears once I migrate to OL2002 - there is no separate email modes.

It's no naviety - all one needs is patience.  It may sound complicated, but setting up Contacts to manage your address book/personal info is actually fairly easy - I have been using OL to do this since the first version (97).  One of my physician friends goes even further - he distributes email (mail merge) to selected clients and friends monthly updates on related medical advances/info by selecting multiple categories that suits the client profile(s) for the update items.  The tedious part is organizing Contacts entries, especially when OL Categories is in use, which doesn't go very well with Palm OS.

The "trickest" part is actually synchronizing different PDAs/phones with different Profiles.  My Sony Ericsson phone software even allows me to select only those Contacts entries I want to synchronize to the phone (albeit without Categories), and it works with Profiles.  If I remember correctly, setting up to synchronize with Profiles wasn't very difficult either - I was synchronizing with 2 Palm units on different Profiles, but I have since moved on to a single Pocket PC  (and why I stopped using Profiles).

Good luck with the rethink.  Do post if you need more help on this.

255 Posts

September 15th, 2004 13:00

I think I will put the issue on hold temporarily. I was already planning to replace my old desktop Dell PC (with the hated Windows Me) with a brand new laptop, and to upgrade Office on the new machine from 2K Pro to Office whatever-2003? XP?). I will try letting her use my old laptop (Win98 and Office 2K)--she wants a PC that will not take up much space in HER neat and tidy office rather than a big clunky one in MY cluttered and embarassingly messy office. (the old laptop may not be able to take the newer Office but using Office 2k will be OK). We will then set up a WiFi network to share our internet cable connection. This way we can keep everything totally separate. And simple. The only small issue might be making a common address book to print, but I think the answer may be pretty simple: e-mail a few v-Cards from one PC to the other (the old laptop cannot burn CDs and the usual *.pst file is probably too big for a floppy) and just keep a separate "joint" Contact list on my machine. Not pretty but it sounds like it should work. And synching her Treo 300 PDA/phone to OL on her machine should be pretty easy.

And I will table the whole problem until then, perhaps within a month.

Thanks for your insights!
No Events found!