Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2013 14:00

Getting Internet Exxplorer icon on desktop start screen.

Just purchased a new 660s Inspiron desktop computer from Dell via the Internet..  I've been strugling for 2 days trying to get it set up.  I think I'm about there but have been unable to get the "Internet Explorer" icon on my desktop so I can access its content.  I tried the "pin to task bar" and "add to start screen" directions but nothing worked.  I need this access to use computer cleanup, defragment, restore, and other activities.  Also, on startup, I get the current time notice whereafter, by clicking on the screen, I need to sign in.  I really don't want all that.  I'd like to get to my opening screen with its action icons immediately.  HELP!  Please send e-mail responses to

3.1K Posts

January 29th, 2013 03:00

Hi MrJBM,

Please try the steps mentioned below to boot directly to the Start screen:

• On Start Screen
  • Type 'netplwiz' without the parenthesis, hit 'Enter' on keyboard to launch User Accounts dialog (Figure 1)
  • Select the user from the list and uncheck the check box which says “User must enter a username and password to use this computer”, click OK (Figure 2)
  • A new window will Open to enter a password for the selected user (Figure 3)
  • Enter the password and click 'OK' (Figure 3)
  • The next time system starts or reboots it will be directly logged into the system without having to enter a password

Figure 1:

Figure 2:

Figure 3:

You may follow the steps mentioned below to create a desktop icon for Internet Explorer:

• Right click on the desktop, choose ‘New’ -> Shortcut’
  • In the location field, type: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" without the parenthesis
  • In 'What would you like to name the shortcut' field, type 'Internet Explorer'
  • Click 'Next', then 'Finish'
  • An icon for Internet Explorer should be created on the desktop

You can download a free e-book from our website as a learning aid for Windows 8 Operating system. Click on the link and complete the form http://bitly.com/Tg6o3n

Please reply if you have any questions.

No Events found!