Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 22nd, 2010 15:00

Installation CD not working for Microsoft Office Basic 2003

I've reformatted my Dimension 3000, reinstalled Windows XP Pro, all Dell drivers and installed all Windows updates.

I then went to install all the other applications that came with the computer (Sound Blaster, CyberLink PowerDVD, Sonic DigitalMedia), they all installed ok.  But the exception is Microsoft Office Basic 2003.  I inserted it in the drive and the drive is not recognising that there is a CD in it.  Therefore, I cannot install the software.  This is the first time since purchasing the computer in summer 2005 that I have used this CD.

Can I get a new CD from Dell?  Is there somewhere online that I can download the version?

Thanks!

2.2K Posts

March 26th, 2010 19:00

If another computer can read it, have you considered making a copy and trying the copied disk?

If that disk also does not work that would seemingly rule out bad media as the problem. If it does work, you're good to go....

468 Posts

March 22nd, 2010 16:00

Hello!.. You can't download the software (legally), but if it is dell branded (has a dell logo on the cd), they MAY replace it if you give them a call,  if they even have a copy available.  You could also contact microsoft and ask them for a replacement disk.  A question I do have to ask.. Is the CD and actual CD or DVD?  Around that time you could still get computers with cd burners but no DVD reading capability.. look on the front of the drive tray and see if it says DVD, DVD-Rom or something like that.. if it does, then you probably have a bad disk and I would try those two outlets to see if you can get it :-)

11 Posts

March 23rd, 2010 04:00

Thanks beamermt25.  It is an actual CD and has the Dell branding on the Product Key sticker at the back of the CD packaging.  I have both CD and DVD reading capabilities - the drive has a CD and DVD-Rom logo on the front.

I'm going to contact Dell and Microsoft as you suggested.

11 Posts

March 26th, 2010 16:00

Can someone tell me why I have to pay Dell or Microsoft Support to ask them to replace a faulty installation CD?  I have a genuine product that I have paid for and am unable to use; it's the first time I have had to reinstall all hardware and software on my computer, therefore, the first occasion to realise that the Microsoft Office Basic 2003 CD is not working.

I have also contacted Dell's Customer Support by email and have had no reply.  Is there another way to contact Dell and request a new CD if my product support has expired.

VERY frustrated!!!!!

398 Posts

Can the CD be read by other computers?

11 Posts

I tried it in my laptop and yes, it works.  Just reminded me that I had the same problem when I had to reinstall software on my laptop, but I got around that as I have 2 installation CDs in my family for Office Pro - one worked, the other didn't.

What does that mean?

11 Posts

April 7th, 2010 14:00

Thanks HROVA, the copied disk worked! :emotion-1:  I had to do the same thing with my Kaspersky installation CD as the original wasn't being read by the drive either.  I'll now have to figure out if something isn't quite right with the drivers I installed... but that's another topic!!!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 9th, 2010 18:00

Or your optical drive should be on its way to the landfill  :emotion-3:

Ron

No Events found!