Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

November 13th, 2017 08:00

Latitude MS Office Keys Not Included

We buy Latitudes regularly.  Typically if I order a Latitude with MS Office on it, the little card with the Product Key comes in the box.  This last batch of Latitudes did not.  When I fire up Office, it simply tells me that Office is included with this laptop, and wants me to sign in with a Microsoft account to finish activating.

So the question is: If I want to swap out the hard drive and put in a solid state drive, then install Windows 10, will the Office install recognize that this laptop has a valid Office license (the same way that Windows knows it can be installed)?  Or will activating Office before swapping hard drives allow me to then install Windows, install Office and just login to that MS account and the Office license will be attached to that account because I activated and allow reinstall?

Normally I just swap out the drive, then use the product key to install MS office, but guessing they don't send that along any more.  

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

November 14th, 2017 03:00

Hi igendreau2,

You shouldn't have anything to worry about. The MPI information is now digitally encoded into the system motherboard.

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

November 14th, 2017 06:00

You would sign in to Microsoft with the associated account and then get the option to download/install.  

For the first installation, or a reinstallation on the same PC, Office automatically activates if the end user is connected to the Internet (the Activation Wizard is not shown during installation). If the end user is not connected to the Internet during installation, the Activation Wizard will be shown and provide options to either activate online or by telephone.

If significant hardware changes have occurred on the PC, or if Office is reinstalled or installed on a different PC, the Activation Wizard will appear after the installation and whenever an Office program is started. Use the telephone option in the Activation Wizard to contact the activation center.

You can find further details here:

support.office.com/.../Download-and-install-or-reinstall-Office-365-or-Office-2016-on-a-PC-or-Mac-4414eaaf-0478-48be-9c42-23adc4716658

I hope this helps clarify things.

November 14th, 2017 06:00

Okay, I guess that's what I'm looking for.

"You would sign in to Microsoft with the associated account and then get the option to download/install."

If I'm swapping the hard drive right off the bat, there is no associated account yet.  So I'm guessing the right way to do it would be:

1. Fire the laptop up and start Office
  2. When it asks to activate, associate it with an account
  3. Swap the drive, reinstall windows, and then login to the associated Office account to reinstall.

That sound about right? 

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

November 14th, 2017 07:00

Yes, that should work fine ( make sure Windows is activated first) Please check over this article too:

www.dell.com/.../how-to-find-and-activate-microsoft-office-2016-or-365-on-your-new-dell-system

No Events found!