Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2007 19:00

Loving the Office XP Service Pack 3: Why won't it install?

Computer-updating illiterate?  Yes
Beginning to be frustrated with a Dell computer I once loved because Microsoft is causing me multiple problems with its Word Processing software?  Getting there........

--------------------
I was having some problems with my Microsoft Word in Workssuite 2006.  Another poster is helping me resolve the problems of saving to the C Drive and saving to the Flash Drive absent constant problems.  However, even today, I was copying and pasting something, and Microsoft Word shut down!  Luckily, it had auto-restored what I was working on.

After reporting the error message, Microsoft gave me a link to resolve the issue.  It involved downloading Office XP Service Pack 3 (English Version) to automatically update my Word program.
So I cliked "Install," and about halfway through installation, I get the message that I needed to insert the CD that came with my computer to finish the instillation.  The CD is at school, so I had to click, CANCEL, and the Service Pack was not installed.

Some Questions That Probably Show My Ignorance:

1)  Why is it asking me to insert (what I'm guessing is the original that came with my computer) CD to install the Office XP Service Pack 3?
  a)  Should I insert it?
  b)  Is there a more preferred way of installing it without inserting the CD?
2)  What will happen if I do install this Service Pack?
   a)  Will I lose any of my original files/will it drastically change or alter Word in any way?
4)  Do you suggest installing this Service Pack?
5)  After installation, (if anyone has personal experience) will it likely fix the problems I am having with Word shutting down unexpectedly when I'm doing normal tasks (copying & pasting with a self-made outline, saving to the C Drive, saving to a flash drive, etc.)?

As you can tell, I don't know what is going on here.  I have had a few cheap computers in my life, and I've never really had a problem with Microsoft Word.  Now I have this Dell, a hefty purchase that is worth every penny.  Mind you, I am using Word more often now that I'm using my notebook computer every day for notes/outlines.  However, I have never encountered this type of problem and becoming very frustrated.

If anyone can help, I would be most appreciative.

326 Posts

January 27th, 2007 19:00

Some programs want the original cd for a lot of reasons
sometimes to compare files or smiliar

As to the service pack causing any problems, it will not
and you will not lose any of your Office Data Files
No Events found!