Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 26th, 2016 13:00

Microsoft Office 30 Day Trial vs. Microsoft Office 365 Personal

I recently purchased a Dell XPS 8900 with Windows 10 installed. The package I bought included a 30-day trial of Microsoft Office. At the same time, I purchased a copy of Microsoft Office 365 Personal (annual subscription).

As part of the setup process, I downloaded and installed Microsoft Office 365 Personal, which includes Access 2016, Excel 2016, OneNote 2016, Outlook 2016, PowerPoint 2016, Publisher 2016, and Word 2016.

Silly me, I expected that installing an official, paid-for version of Office would uninstall anything that came with the 30-day trial version of Office, but there are pieces left over and I'm not sure what I can safely do with them (safe as in, it won't mess up the installation of the Office products I purchased):

There's a "Get Office" icon in the Start menu and a "Get Office" entry in the Apps & Features section of the System control panel.

Is it safe to simply uninstall this?

There seem to be two copies of OneNote installed. The first, named OneNote 2016, appears to be the one I purchased. Its icon in the Start menu has a light blue background like the other "official" Office components. The icon in the Start menu for the other copy is named simply OneNote and has a purple background. There's also an icon with the same purple background in the Notification Tray. When I hover over that icon, it says "New quick note". This second copy of OneNote, the one with the purple background, is listed in the Apps & Features list but not in the Programs & Features control panel.

Is it safe to uninstall the second instance of OneNote (the one with the purple-background icon)? If so, how do I manage it? When I click on the entry for OneNote in the Apps & Features section (which indicates a size of 272KB, which doesn't sound like any sort of real app), the Uninstall option is grayed out. And there's no entry for OneNote in the Programs & Features control panel (the only Office-related entry in that list is "Microsoft Office 365 - en-us").

To summarize my questions:

1. Can I uninstall the "Get Office" app in Apps & Features?

2. Can I uninstall that second copy of OneNote, and, if so, how?

As usual, Microsoft has managed to confuse me and clutter my desktop. Any help would be appreciated.

Larry

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

January 28th, 2016 01:00

Right click get office and select uninstall, right click get skype and select uninstall.

OneNote, Mail and Sway are part of Windows 10. Microsoft do not allow uninstallation of OneNote (Windows 10) or Mail (Windows 10) by simply right clicking and selecting uninstall.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 26th, 2016 14:00

Instead of uninstalling anything, I would remove the shortcuts to the 2010 stuff.

1 Rookie

• 

91 Posts

January 26th, 2016 15:00

What 2010 stuff? This is a brand new PC, fresh from the factory. Why would there be ancient Office 2010 apps on this PC?

1 Rookie

• 

91 Posts

January 28th, 2016 02:00

Thank you, Philip, for the clear response and explanation.

I'll just ignore the icons for Mail and OneNote (the extra one pointing to the version that didn't come with Office 365) until I find a way to uninstall the apps and free up some hard drive space. The same applies to Sway (which I hadn't even noticed until you mentioned it). I guess I just assumed it was Dell bloatware.

I did manage to get rid of the "Send to OneNote" icon in the Notification Tray, which pointed to the "wrong" version of OneNote. .

I've never used Skype, but you never know, I might want to try it someday. I'll keep that around for now.

--Larry

No Events found!