Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 1st, 2011 07:00

Move Office 2003 License to Newer Machine?

I have an old Dell Dimension 4600, with which I purchase a license for MS Office 2003.  That machine no longer works, so I am wondering whether the license allows me to move it to my newer Dell XPS 630i?

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

July 1st, 2011 14:00

Depends on exactly what kind of license you have.

If your Office disk has a Dell label on the case or envelope, it's an OEM license, meaning it's only legal to use on the computer it came with.  An OEM license dies when the computer dies, which is why it's considerably cheaper than a retail license.

A retail version of Office - with a Microsoft-only label and key - can be legally moved from one computer to another.

This FAQ from MS gives more detail on OEM license restrictions -  see "Transfer of License".  

www.microsoft.com/.../licensing_faq.aspx

This may help you as well:

www.microsoft.com/.../Default.aspx

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

July 1st, 2011 17:00

Glad that helped.

There is a free alternative to MS Office called Open Office if you want to try it and/or don't want to pay $100+ for a copy of "Home and Student"  (or whatever version you need) - other sites/stores are cheaper than direct from MS.   Other members report being happy with Open Office for most purposes - I'm still using Office 2000 :emotion-4: .

http://www.openoffice.org/

July 1st, 2011 15:00

Thanks!  This is good info to know.  I'll be tossing the Office 2003 along with the Dimension 4600.

July 1st, 2011 18:00

Thank's again :-).  

No Events found!