Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2010 09:00

My dell dock stopped functioning, Does bios update has an effect on the computer performance?

hi, My dell dock just stopped functioning with no prior notice. When i try to send error message , i get another error message. Seen other articles but my system is dell studio 1558 with windows 7. Use McAfee antivirus.

Pls, does bios update affect the performance of a PC. My PC came with Bios A04 but i went to drivers and download to update it to A06. Am a rookie is it advisable to be performing Bios update regularly? When is it advisable to perform a drivers update for a software?

Relly need ur help on this.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 16th, 2010 11:00

About the bios update--downloading the update file to your computer does not do anything. You have to click on the downloaded file on your computer to update the bios. But before you do that--make sure you really need the update. If your computer is running without problems it's better not to update the bios. Bios updates can be tricky and a failed bios update could make your computer useless. Wait until you are more familiar with your computer. Read up on bios updates and read the fixes for your update on the download page. You must have a working battery and be plugged into the adapter to run a bios update file.

9 Posts

June 16th, 2010 19:00

not sure on your dell dockas one of the first thing i do is uninstall it, i don't like the look feel and it only duplicates functions found else where, but the most strait foward fix is download the newest version from dell then go to programs under control pannel adn unistall your current version next reboot your machine then install the one you just downloaded , in general it is advisable when ever you are doing a complete install of a newer version of a program not just updating it to unistall the old version first.

as for your bios, if your computer is workign fine leave it alon,e but i know from personel experice that the alot of people with the A04 bis including myself are having issues with unexpeted shut downs while just surffing the web and doing normal activities , the AO6 bios is supposed to fix this issue. so if you are having problems where in the middle of work your computer just turn it self off Dell assures us that this will most probably fix it.

jsut as a reminder read the instruction carefully before trying, bios updating tends to be alot safer then it used to be but they are capable of making for a lot of extra work if you mess them up

good luck with your  Docking progam adn or bois update

No Events found!