Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

May 30th, 2008 10:00

Outlook 2003 Issue

We have a small office of 10 XP users...

Our Web Hosting Company offers e-mail accounts that we utilize...

I have set up all of the workstations with Outlook as the e-mail client and access our web server e-mail via Outlook - using the incoming and outgoing server names the hosting company gave us...

Some of the workstations run Outlook 2007 and some run 2003...

On one of the workstations running 2003 occasionally the e-mail messages for this user will not download from the e-mail server...

I can log on to the web server using their web mail client and see that there are new messages out there for this user...

The other PC's in the office continue to receive their e-mail from the server in Outlook with no problem...

This has happened twice - maybe a day or two later we'll start receiving them again...

Suggestions? Anyone seen this before?

thank you in advance...

118 Posts

May 31st, 2008 19:00

When I clock send/receive I see the dialogue and it completes successfully...

7.9K Posts

windows firewall is not an issue.  are there any errors when you click send and receive, or does it seem to complete (but just not download the mail)?

7.9K Posts

Could be an issue with a software firewall, if there's one on the machine.  Do the send and receives actually complete?  Are you using POP or IMAP? (or exchange?).

When I have problems with outlook, I often find that deleting the account in question and recreating it from scratch will solve the problem.  If emails are kept locally, take care that these are safe and backed up (though it shouldn't be an issue) before you try this.

118 Posts

Running POP3 with windows firewall turned on...

thanks

7.9K Posts

May 31st, 2008 23:00

sorry to ask for clarification again, but you said the problem didn't happen all the time.  were there previously undownloaded messages which were not downloaded when you just hit send and receive?  or was this one of the times where everything worked as intended :D

118 Posts

June 1st, 2008 13:00

it has happened 2 times now - the last one was about a month ago....

I didn't do anything to fix it that time either - the new messages just starting downloading again...

very weird

7.9K Posts

June 1st, 2008 16:00

you've got me ...  all i can suggest is seeing if the send and receiving is actually completing the next time you have the error.

118 Posts

June 1st, 2008 18:00

thank you for your efforts!

195 Posts

June 10th, 2008 22:00

I can log on to the web server using their web mail client and see that there are new messages out there for this user...

The other PC's in the office continue to receive their e-mail from the server in Outlook with no problem...

This has happened twice - maybe a day or two later we'll start receiving them again...

Is someone reading the mail on the Web Server before it reaches it's intended receiver? Is there an employee monitoring program in place to check incoming and out going e-mail? Problems have been experienced with e-mail in outlook when someone is being noisy and reading someone else's email or a employee e-mail monitoring program is being used.

No Events found!