Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 17th, 2009 21:00

Problems with Microfsoft Office 2007

I have an XPS 420 running under VISTA.  Microsoft Office came installed by Dell last August and has worked fine until day before yesterday.  The problem first occurred with Outlook.  It would not load.  Apparently, while I was away Tuesday an automatic update was downloaded by Microsoft as my PC was awaiting my password.  After hthat I could not get Outlook to open.  Finally, after the second attempt, I was able to uninstall and re-install Office.  Finally Outlook started working just fine.  Today WORD started giving me problems; it worked fine yesterday.  Today sometimes WORD won't open.  Sometimes it will but when I try to save a file, I get the "not responding" message.  It just hangs there.  I can stop by using Task Manager.  Does anyone know what might be the cause of this?  I've used my regular virus software, AVAST, online scans by McAfee and Norton and no virus were detected.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sandy

2.9K Posts

July 18th, 2009 09:00

You can try "repairing" your Office Installation. Open any Office application (Word for example). Click on the Office Orb (top left hand corner)>Word Options>Resources> and click on the Diagnose button opposite "run Microsoft Office Diagnostics".

189 Posts

July 22nd, 2009 17:00

Thanks for trying to help.  I tried that and it didn't work.  I finally found a recommendation from the MS Office Online forum which worked.  It was suggested that a WORD add-in was the problem.  I had Scansoft PDF Converter  and PDF Creator as addins.  Once I deleted these and deleted a Registry entry for WORD \DATA, WORD began working properly again.  I suspect that one of the Microsoft Office updates caused the problem with the Scansoft software as these were older versions.  Thanks again for the suggestion.

Sandy

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

You might want to use System Restore go back to latest date available before those new updates were installed. Personal files will be ok, but the updates will be removed and you will need to reinstall them, assuming they don't cause the problem again.

Ron

189 Posts

Thanks very much for the recommendation.  However, I did use System Restore back several versions and that didn't fix the problem.  As mentioned in my response to Rebel9, the Scansoft add-ins apparently caused the problem.  I do appreciate your recommendation.

Sandy

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 23rd, 2009 12:00

Hold down control while opening word (double click on the word shortcut while pressing control). Select yes when it prompts you to start in safe mode. Press control and n to create a new document (otherwise it will be blank) or open a document by pressing control and o. Does word work properly or still hang?

189 Posts

July 24th, 2009 18:00

I appreciate your suggestion.  However, I solved the problem by removing the add-ins and removing the entry in the register that I mentioned above.  Earlier, I did reboot Windows in safe mode and tried to open WORD then, but it didn't work at that time.  I just tried your suggestion and WORD does open in safe mode.  Thanks for the help.

Sandy

1 Message

November 16th, 2009 09:00

Many thanks for the suggestion. How do I find out what addins i may have? How do I then get rid of them?

Thanks

Mike

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 16th, 2009 11:00

Assuming it's the same as Word 2003, click Tools>Templates and Add-ins. You should be able to disable add-ins that are causing problems. And if you need those add-ins, you'll have to uninstall and reinstall them.

Ron

4 Posts

November 17th, 2009 12:00

Pleased you have solved your problem. For the record I have had a very similar experience except so far Outlook 2007, rather than Word has stopped working. Interestingly Outlook works normally on the same computer under a new profile that I have created.  Anybody know why please?  

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 17th, 2009 14:00

Check user permissions for the bum profile.

Could be a corrupted profile. Log in as Administrator and transfer ownership of all the files belonging to the old user to the new user.  Then delete that old profile.

Ron

No Events found!