Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2014 06:00

Recover files from EMERGENCY folder (.dsb files) - DataSafe Local Backup File & Folder Restore Wizard

Somehow Trojan.Viknok Activity 3 invaded my system, a PC running under Windows 7. Norton 360 IPS prevented the malware from doing any damage, but was unable to prevent the initial infection and repeated attempts by the worm to do its damage. Anyway... ...had to restore my system from a repair USB drive that I had made some time ago. Chose option to copy files so that they could be copied back onto my system. My data took hours to copy and took a giant chunk out of my 500GB drive, so I was pretty sure that they were backed up. Due to an interface lacking in clarity, mistakenly just did the factory restore instead of the restore that copies data back to my system. Didn't realize this until I discovered that my data was not copied back onto my system. Could not do the restore a second time because the data was made unreachable when the first restore was done (really--I don't know why--just chalk it up to poor design and move on). After several near freak-outs--booting from the USB drive and trying to recover the files & not being able to see any valid backed up data--I was able to get my files back after reading several posts. I decided to try and consolidate some of the information. FIRST: Make all files visible. Go to Control Panel. Click View by: Category. Click Appearance and Personalization. Click "Show hidden files and folders" under Folder Options, which brings up the Folder Options dialog. Under Advanced Settings, select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" under the "Hidden files and folders" folder. Unselect the checkbox next to "Hide extensions for known file types". Click OK. SECOND: Restore the files. Go to the EMERGENCY folder on the drive where you stored your data. Dbl-click the .exe file. The Dell DataSafe Local Backup File & Folder Restore Wizard will open. (The file will have format like: Backup_d-mm-yyyy-H-MM-SS xM.1.exe, where d-mm-yyyy-H-MM-SS xM are the day, month, year, and time, including AM or PM, of the backup; note that the .dsb files will have similar filenames, where the .1 before the extension will increment by 1). Follow the instructions in the Wizard. You should be golden. I hope this covers it all.

1 Message

July 13th, 2017 01:00

thansk for useful info

1 Message

October 6th, 2019 05:00

emergency file & folder backup

No Events found!