Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2017 16:00

Slow curser response - Dell Laptop Windows 10

I have an issue with the extreme slow curser response.  I just began about a month ago and has rendered my laptop unusable.  My curser will blink as normal and I can type about 3-4 keystrokes and it stops.  I have to wait util it begins to blink again and type a few more keystrokes.  I saw a posting from 2007 where someone had the same problem and they said the cause was a MediaDirect update.  At that time they eliminated MediaDirect and it seemed to solve the problem  .  I am not sure what MediaDirect is or how to eliminate it, if it is the problem.  Any suggestions?  

Thanks for any assistance...

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

October 24th, 2017 05:00

Hi LatourEffell,

Thanks for posting.

Here is an article about MediaDirect you may find helpful.  http://dell.to/2yKJtZm

From what you're describing it sounds like a recent update or a recently installed program may be causing the issue you are seeing.  Have you been able to restore back to the last known good configuration?  

October 25th, 2017 13:00

No I have not.  I am not sure what would be the best date to do that.  Would that only reset the software or would I lose everything that changed from that time forward?  

October 25th, 2017 13:00

C'est frustrant.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

October 26th, 2017 04:00

You should only reset the software, but, you've backed up your computer right?  If you have critical data, you should always backup.

October 26th, 2017 08:00

I back it up with Norton.  At this point I don't care.  I can't type more than 3 keystrokes.  How do I reset software?  I tried to restore to a previous check point but, it just failed at every attempt. I believe the Windows & Microsoft software est subscription based.  Could I download?  My laptop is an Inspiron 3531.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

October 26th, 2017 11:00

Try uninstalling then reinstalling the software.  If that's not helpful, then, try reinstalling the Operating system.

October 27th, 2017 12:00

Problem solved!  I uninstalled the keyboard/mouse driver.  Rebooted and the reboot reinstalled the drivers and all is well.  I tried to download the drivers assuming that they may be corrupted. But, It wouldn't allow me to install them because I already had the current drivers.  I knew this but, they were corrupted.  One of the other comments to another request suggested just uninstalling & rebooting.  Give this man a gold star!  :)  Merci beaucoup for all the assistance.  I was just about to give up.  

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

October 30th, 2017 11:00

Thank You!  Glad you were able to resolve the issue.  Thanks for posting so others can be helped as well.

No Events found!