Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2004 21:00

Thinking of Upgrading to MS Office 2003.

I've got Office XP on my system that came with it when I bought it from Dell. I'm thinking of upgrading to Office 2003 and have been looking at some offers on E-bay (I know a lot of them are dodgy at best but I'll be careful to buy a unused, sealed, original version). Not a lot of these are upgrade versions, however, and my question is what will happen if I install a full version over my existing Office XP installation? Will the full version act like the upgrade version? If not, will I need to un-install Office XP first? Would I need to export me Outlook data file and simply import it into Outlook 2003, assuming I have to do an install from new?

Thanks for any advice.

11.9K Posts

July 23rd, 2004 23:00

@Jeremy Cook wrote:
I've got Office XP on my system that came with it when I bought it from Dell. I'm thinking of upgrading to Office 2003 and have been looking at some offers on E-bay (I know a lot of them are dodgy at best but I'll be careful to buy a unused, sealed, original version). Not a lot of these are upgrade versions, however, and my question is what will happen if I install a full version over my existing Office XP installation? Will the full version act like the upgrade version? If not, will I need to un-install Office XP first? Would I need to export me Outlook data file and simply import it into Outlook 2003, assuming I have to do an install from new?

Thanks for any advice.

Save your money.  Office 2003 for Students and Teachers.  $120 or so.

The ONLY program worth upgrading is Outlook from everything I've read. 

You install the 2003 version in a different folder to not overwrite the old, or uninstall the old and install the new. 

No Events found!