Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2008 20:00

UNABLE TO UNINSTALL SOFTWARE

I have a Dell desktop and I recently installed a software (SAS) that will not uninstall using the usual panel control-remove/add prgrams feature, even though it gives a message that the program has been successfully uninstalled. In addition, the program does not show up in the All Programs listing. It can only be seen when I open the control panel. How can I successfully uninstall this software program?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 28th, 2008 21:00

Have you tried the "System Restore" function?  You can access System Restore under Accessories/System Tools.  Restore the PC to a date PRIOR to installing the unwanted software. 

System restore will not delete any user data, e-mails, etc but any programs or program updates that were installed after the restore date will have to be reinstalled (or any programs uninstalled will have to be uninstalled again).

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

August 29th, 2008 22:00

Does it have its own uninstaller? Look in the SAS folder for it. Or, if it created an entry on your Start menu, it may also list the uninstaller there.

Have you tried uninstalling it in Safe Mode?

Ron 

553 Posts

September 1st, 2008 12:00

Have you tried a Start>Search for SAS files? You can send any you find to the Recycle Bin. You can also search the registry for any SAS keys if you are comfortable in working in the regustry.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

September 1st, 2008 13:00

I'm going to assume that SAS is SUPERAntiSpyware, yes?

[which is a very good program, so I have to question why you want to uninstall it... ]

in theory, you should be able to uninstall it through the Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs.   the fact that you say this "gives a message that the program has been successfully uninstalled. In addition, the program does not show up in the All Programs listing" leads me to believe that you have in fact uninstalled the actual SAS program... but that its Add/Remove entry in the Control Panel has somehow remained.  

SAS offers a separate/dedicated uninstaller which you can try, see here:

http://forums.superantispyware.com/viewtopic.php?t=1454

if the entry remains in add/remove after that, and it really bothers you, i believe there's a windows installer cleanup utility that someone here might be able to link you to.

55 Posts

September 3rd, 2008 16:00

>>> I'm going to assume that SAS is SUPERAntiSpyware, yes?

I was assuming that SAS is the world-famous statistical software package. That software, although excellent, has always been a bear to uninstall. If that is the SAS being talked about, contact their support center. They will do a graet job helping you out.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

September 3rd, 2008 16:00

interesting... so we don't know which of these programs (or perhaps yet another??) was being referred to.

i "live" in the virus/spyware forum, so that's why i assumed SuperAntiSpyware.

but yes, now that you reminded me, i do recall Statistical Analysis System as well.

and all this may be moot, since the original poster hasn't replied here in almost a week... 

No Events found!