Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 12th, 2013 13:00

Video Card Drivers - Dell or AMD?

Hey guys,

I bought my laptop in December 2010 and updated my video card drivers to the latest version from Dell.

However, Dell hasn't updated the drivers since then, whereas AMD seems to be pushing out updates (on its website).

So, should I stick to the Dell driver or update using the AMD driver autodetect tool?

The same thing has happened for my dell desktop I bought in April 2011. Dell seems to have stopped updating the drivers for the desktop, and new drivers seem to be available on AMD's official website. Should I update via AMD official website or stay with Dell's 'latest' drivers (from drivers and downloads)?

Thanks!

My Laptop  - Dell Inspiron N5010

Graphics Card - ATI Radeon Mobility HD 550v

My Desktop - Dell Inspiron 550 series...i believe?

Graphics Card - ATI Radeon HD 5450

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

May 13th, 2013 09:00

Hi Tornado15550,

If you are facing any issue with the graphics performance in the system, only then it is recommended to install/update the latest drivers from the manufacturer’s website, else latest Video card drivers from Dell's official website should suffice.

Please reply for any further help.

May 13th, 2013 21:00

Hi, and thank you for your response.

The problem I'm having on my laptop, is that I am unable to playback 4K video on YouTube.

It results in a BSOD. However, if I use the AMD drivers, it works flawlessly.

And the reason why I wanted to update my drivers on the desktop was that I game on it, so wouldn't running the newest drivers from AMD have a performance improvement on the latest games than the 2010 version from Dell?

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

May 14th, 2013 08:00

Hi Tornado15550,

It is likely that the graphics quality would improve when the latest drivers are updated. Since AMD's website has the latest display drivers available, please install them.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

May 17th, 2013 16:00

Always use the video manufacturer's drivers when you are looking for help with new technologies or games. Dell will update their video driver only if there is a problem with basic performance.

10 Posts

December 28th, 2019 17:00

Sorry I know this is an old thread.

I found out too late for my last laptop that sometimes installing the latest chipset or video drivers can create issues.  For instance, my system ran much hotter when i updated to the latest drivers supplied from manufacturer AMD.  I then rolled back to my OEM chipset/video drivers from ASUS and the laptop ran cooler doing the same tasks.  This may be an isolated issue but it was definitely something to at least be aware of.  I play safe and use an application to record temperatures before and after updating now.

No Events found!