Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 15th, 2009 09:00

When replying to an e-mail message, Outlook sends from the wrong account

When I use Outlook to reply to e-mail, I understand that the reply is supposed to be sent from the same account that received the original mail. That doesn’t happen. When I reply to a message that was sent to my default e-mail account, the reply is sent from another account. In order to have it sent from my default account I must manually click Accounts and select the default account before clicking Send. How can I make Outlook 2003 (under Vista Home Premium) automatically use the default account when replying to a message sent to that account?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 18th, 2009 04:00

I've been through every option in my Outlook 2003 and could not find anything that would change the way replies are handled, in reference to the e-mail account that is used.

One final suggestion.  Delete your primary (default) e-mail account and then create a new account, set it as default and see if that helps.  About the only other remote possibility.

89 Posts

September 8th, 2009 09:00

Thanks, fireberd, your final suggestion has made the fix. I deleted and re-created my default e-mail account. Newly received messages now are replied to from the correct account. Messages received before the fix still exhibit the old problem--but I can live with that. Thank you again.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 16th, 2009 04:00

Check your Accounts and make sure the account you want as the default is set as the "default".  I have 3 accounts setup in Outlook 2003 and my "default" account is set as the "default".

Click on Tools/E-Mail Accounts and then select the option to View or Change existing accounts.  When the next panel comes up you can select the account that you want as default.

89 Posts

July 16th, 2009 17:00

Yes, the account that I want as my default account is indeed set as the default account. Nevertheless, when I reply to a message sent to that account, Outllook wants to send the reply from another account. I know that Outlook is supposed to reply from the same account that received the [collapse]original message, but it doesn't do that. How can I fix it so it replies from the account that the message was sent to?

[/collapse]

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 17th, 2009 04:00

I went through my Outlook 2003 and can't find an option anywhere to change the e-mail address it defaults to when replying to a message.

Have you run Detect and Repair on Outlook 2003?

89 Posts

July 17th, 2009 20:00

Thank you, fireberd, for spending time on my problem. Yes, I had run Detect and Repair some time ago, but I just ran it again. It reported success. I then e-mailed a message from another account to my default e-mail account. No change: When I initiate a REPLY to that message, Outlook wants to send it from a different account. Any other ideas?

No Events found!