Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 23rd, 2012 11:00

Why did Dell Support install Akamai Netsession client and why is it blocked by Windows Firewall?

Akamai Netsession Client was downloaded and installed when I reinstalled the link to Dell Support. It has been activated. Several days later??? Windows Firewall licked in and told me I should block this app. Descriptions of this program are very vague about how much bandwidth and computer resources it requires. Should I remove this program?

1 Message

December 24th, 2012 20:00

This is not a reply, sadly, but a ditto of your concern. I trust a Dell mod  will correct me if I am mistaken about this: Akamai provides the Dell OEM soft -and firm-ware support downloads; it's basically a download manager. After my own update and restart I, too, recieved the Win Firewall message. In my case, the "Public networks, such as..." option was automatically checked.. Frankly, I see no reason why I should allow my LT soft and firmware to be updated  while I'm on a public network. For that matter, I see no reason to have Akamai update my software - it was merely a mandatory Dell update software update download manager - unless I specifically look for updates on Dell support or via Windows Update. I hope this made some sense until we get a real answer from somebody who knows... you can't go wrong to deny and change your permissions later.

1 Message

April 2nd, 2013 05:00

After using the download manager from Dell, I simply went to Programs and Features in the Control Panel and uninstalled Akamai Netsession to stop the firewall intrusion it was doing. I don't want their holes in my firewall, just so somebody can leech off my computer whether it's legitimate or not... It's still a security breach. Begone with them. 

No Events found!