Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2012 11:00

opening docx files?

Whenever I download or attempt to open an attachment that is a docx file I get the error message "docx is not a valid Win32 Application?  I have tried to change the associated program to open docx files but the computer will not let me do this.  Microsoft word will normally open docx files.  What gives?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 8th, 2012 11:00

DOCX is microsoft Word 2007,2010.  This is not a Dell Issue it is an Office 2007 or Office 2010 issue.

Download: Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and ...

Install the compatibility pack if you would like to open, edit, and save documents, workbooks, and presentations

that were created in Office 2007 or Office 2010

Office 2000 and 2003 use .DOC or .PPT for power point Etc.

Users of the Microsoft Office XP and 2003 programs Word, Excel, or PowerPoint—please install all High-Priority updates from Microsoft Update before downloading the Compatibility Pack.

By installing the Compatibility Pack in addition to Microsoft Office 2000, Office XP, or Office 2003, you will be able to open, edit, and save files using the file formats in newer versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint . The Compatibility Pack can also be used in conjunction with the Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003, Excel Viewer 2003, and PowerPoint Viewer 2003 to view files saved in these new formats. For more information about the Compatibility Pack, see 924074.

Note: If you use Microsoft Word 2000 or Microsoft Word 2002 to read or write documents containing complex scripts, please see 925451 for information to enable newer versions of Word documents to be displayed correctly in your version of Word.

Administrators: The administrative template for the Word, Excel, and PowerPoint converters contained within the Compatibility Pack is available for download.

Update: The Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack has been updated to include SP2. Additionally, with the updated Compatibility Pack, if .DOCX or .DOCM files contain custom XML tags, those tags are removed when the file is opened in Word 2003. For more information, please see KB978951

No Events found!