Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2012 07:00

1610HD, ceiling mount targeting

So I am trying to use my new 1610HD projector in a new trade show booth. I  am using a flush ceiling mount to mount it under a display table shelf that will conceal it and project a video onto a specially created booth backdrop that has a projection window designed in.

When projector is sitting on table- I have no problem aiming and hitting the targeted display area.  The shelf is about 3 feet off the ground- the projection target is about 5 feet high and 8 feet away.

Problem- when I turn the projector over and try to hit same target, at same level it projects downward.  Even when I configure the adjustable mount and point the upside down projector toward the ceiling- it projects downward.

Seems like some internal "auto-keying" is working against me.  How do you disable, so it gives me manual targeting ability?  I have disabled the "auto keying" feature on the menu, but that didn't help.Their is also no horizontal or vertical resize menu option in the HDMI options.

I am using the HDMI connection to an AppleTV, to link to an iPad.

Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

710 Posts

August 28th, 2012 09:00

Hi alrichards1,

I would recommend you to restore projector's factory defaults settings.

1) Follow these steps to restore settings to factory defaults. Refer to the image below.

You may find the steps useful:

- Go to 'OSD' (On screen display) option

- Go to 'Others'

2) After the factory reset, the standard menu options will again show up. Please refer to image below for changing 'Keystone' options.

If the above steps do not work, follow these steps to change manual vertical keystone levels:

- Go to 'Setup'

- You may want to turn off 'Auto Keystone' feature again

- 'V. Keystone' feature is located underneath 'Auto Keystone' feature; It will let you manually adjust the vertical image distortion caused by tilting the projector

3) Projector Mode allows you to select the projector mode, depending upon how the projector is mounted.

Select the correct option.

- Front Projection-Desktop: This is the default option

- Front Projection-Ceiling Mount: The projector turns the image upside down for ceiling-mounted projection

- Rear Projection-Desktop: The projector reverses the image so that you can project from behind a translucent screen

- Rear Projection-Ceiling Mount: The projector reverses and turns the image upside down. You can project from behind a translucent screen with a ceiling mounted projection

4) If the issue still persists, use the 'Display' menu, to adjust the vertical display settings of your projector. Refer to image below to change the 'Vertical Position' for optimal projection.

You may find these steps helpful to access the display menu:

- Go to 'Display'

Please reply if you have more questions.

August 28th, 2012 09:00

Thank you for the response.  So I had previousl;y tried these suggestions, with no luck- but I repeated again anyway, starting with the Factory Reset. Unfortunately, same result.  Your last suggestion might work- however, my projector does not show these options. Only- "Back , Aspect Ratio,  Zoom, Zoom Navigation, and Exit Menu"  I do not see Horizontal Position, Vertical Postion, Frequency or Tracking in any configuration (Source) on this projector.

August 28th, 2012 11:00

Is their a firmware update I can try to load?

3 Apprentice

• 

710 Posts

August 28th, 2012 12:00

Hi alrichards1,

Please follow these steps for updating the projector firmware:

1) Click this link to download the new firmware package to your PC: http://dell.to/OqXHhw
    2) Click ‘Download File’
    3) Save file on the computer
    4) Unzip the file you have downloaded and you will see 4 folders created & one pdf file:
    - Flasher 1.7-3.2bit
    - Flasher 1.7_64bit
    - Projector FW
    - Network FW
    - 1510X_1610HD Firmware Upgrade Setup Guide_A (.pdf)

5) Install the Dell Flasher Tool on Your Computer
    - Win 7, Vista, and XP 32‐bit OS: Please install and use Flasher 1.7_32 bit version
    - Win 7, Vista, and XP 64‐bit OS: Please install and use Flasher 1.7_64 bit version
    Note: Dell_Flasher tool does not support Mac OS

6) Double‐click Setup.exe

7) Follow the on‐screen instructions to complete the setup and find the installed flasher on Start menu

8) Install the USB driver on Your Computer
    Plug in the power cord and perform following steps to enter download mode

Step A: Press the Menu button and hold it.
    Step B: Continuously hold the Menu button and press the Power button simultaneously.
    Step C: Release the buttons after Temp and Error LED LEDs are both lighted up.

NOTE: Please DON’T press power button to turn on the projector when entering download mode.

9) Connect the USB cable (type A to B) to the projector and the computer

NOTE: If Windows pop‐up this diagram, please click Cancel.

10) Manually install the USB driver: Start ->All Program ->Dell_Flasher ->Install_driver.exe

NOTE: You only need to install the “USB driver” once.

11) Launch the Dell Flasher Tool to Upgrade Projector Firmware
    NOTE: Please keep the projector in download mode as step 4

Execute the Dell_Flasher: Start ->All Program ->Dell_Flasher ->Flasher.exe

12) Dell_Flasher is executing and please check USB status is Connected before upgrade firmware

13) Follow these steps to upgrade firmware:
    Step A: Click “Browse” to find the firmware (*.img) from downloaded Projector FW folder.
    Step B: Click “DownLoad” to pop‐up the dialog.
    Step C: Click “YES” to start the upgrade projector firmware.
    Step D: Start to Erasing projector

14) Download and upgrade firmware

WARNING: When you are in downloading mode, PLEASE do not press the keyboard

15) Firmware completed, press “OK” and plug out the USB cable from projector

16) Unplug and re‐plug in the power cord to turn on the projector
    Please reply is you have more questions. I would be glad to assist.

August 29th, 2012 08:00

So I have updated the firmware.  Still not seeing the Horizontal or Vertical Position option- Except when in VGA mode only. When using VGA I tried adjusting the Vertical position and it only slightly altered the projection throw. So issue is still present, that when inverted (in ceiling projection mode), the image is targeted downward. when projecting at same height and distant in normal desktop mode (not upside down), you can aim as high up, as needed.  Don't know if this is software or hardware (internal gyroscope inside to sense when inverted??) - but issue is very annoying.

3 Apprentice

• 

710 Posts

August 30th, 2012 12:00

Hi alrichards1,

We are working on the issue.
    Please give 24 to 48 business hours. I will keep you posted.

3 Apprentice

• 

710 Posts

August 31st, 2012 13:00

Hi alrichards1,

Please send video captures of the On-screen display (OSD) menu options, both with VGA and with HDMI connections.
    Also send the video captures of faulty image projections with both connections respectively. We need these inputs for finding a resolution.

Your efforts are highly appreciated.

1 Message

January 1st, 2013 12:00

Hey- Same exact experience- Did this get resolved?? Firmware update did not give horizontal and vertical options as shown on the bottom of Page 35- Appears to be a trend... numerous hours to customer help has not resolved- Unable to see the same options Love to get it resolved

Todd

1 Message

January 31st, 2018 08:00

Good morning, I know this is an old post....But do you have a solution for this...I have mounted the projector on the ceiling and do not see a way to change the horizontal and vertical position 

No Events found!