Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2009 11:00

1800MP Will not turn on - fast flashing orange bulb led - yet another dead 1800MP

My Dell 1800MP projector is less than two years, has less than 200 hours of bulb use, and now will not turn on.  I am at least the 13th post on this topic on the Dell Community support site, to say nothing of posts on the same topic at non-Dell sites.  Several posts above onthe Dell Community site refer to multiple 1800MP's failing with the same symptoms - they will not turn on.  10 of these 12 posts are all this year - 2009 - so that whatever is failing on this units is failing while the units are 1 -2 years old, and of course, typically out of warranty.

My contact with Dell support has been the same as everyone else's - if the units is out of warranty, tough luck.  Repair costs on these units are reportedly running at roughly $250 plus parts, which will put the cost up towards 2/3's the cost of a new unit with similar functionality.  The 1800MP is now old technology.   Dell high level support at Dell's headquarters at Round Rock, Texas  have similarly refused to accept any accountability for these 1800MP failures. 

November 20th, 2010 20:00

The projector can fail to start and the power and temp lights will blink orange. This is a known problem with the Dell 1800MP projectors caused by a failed capacitor in the power supply. You can fix it yourself if you know how to use a soldering iron and have some experience with electronics. There are other posts on the Internet that show or point you to the repair.  There is also a guy posting on FIXYA that repairs these at a very reasonable cost. 

No Events found!