Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2007 17:00

3400MP washed-out colors

Hi, We have a 3400MP projector at work, and ever since we've had it, people have complained about the picture quality. I found that it seems to be Mac laptop users primarily that have problems with it. We got a DVI-to-M1 cable to transmit the picture digitally, but the problems still occur.

What I've observed is this. When the laptop is connected and the projected image appears, the color looks OK for a moment, immediately the projected image begins to flicker and the color drains out of it. After about three seconds, the image settles on an ugly, sickly looking picture.

(It could be that a single color is draining out of the picture, but I haven' had a chance to try to experiment with color bars on the screen.)

Interestingly, going to reset factory defaults on the projector fixes the problem immediately. If I then disconnect the laptop, power the projector off, then back on, and reconnect the laptop, the same thing happens. Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 18th, 2007 00:00

mjdamico,

Please test it on non-Mac PCs.

14 Posts

November 19th, 2007 14:00

I tested it on my Dell laptop with a VGA output as well as my desktop PC with a DVI output. Both worked properly.

14 Posts

January 15th, 2008 14:00

I just got this message from Dell Support:

"Michael, I checked specifications of our Dell Projectors and I found out that our projectors work best with Windows Operating System. Replacing the projector would still not resolve the problem since it is not compatible with Macintosh computers. I recommend that you contact Macintosh and ask if there is an available patch to resolve the issue."

Really? The projector isn't compatible with Macintosh computers? I've never heard of a data projector that wasn't compatible with both Macs and PCs. And if this is the case, how is it that this isn't documented anywhere? And why would macuser.co.uk give it a five star review?

Message Edited by mjdamico on 01-15-2008 10:31 AM

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 15th, 2008 23:00

mjdamico,

The only documented statement I could find is this, "Tested and qualified with Dell notebooks and Microsoft Windows operating systems.". But, the Owner's Manual list Mac compatibility modes so it must work.
MAC LC13 640X480
MAC II 13 640X480
MAC 16 832X624
MAC 19 1024X768
MAC 1152X870
MAC G4 640X480
IMAC DV 1024X768

1 Message

April 12th, 2016 17:00

This problem occurs on my Dell XPS 13 9350 too.. At the moment only factory reset is a work around. 

No Events found!