Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

3 Posts

June 14th, 2020 05:00

Del R510 Server BCM5716c and SR-IOV

I recently acquired a Dell R510 server for my home lab.  I have it setup as a Hyper-V 2019 server running several VMs.  The QLogic BCM5716c Ethernet cards support SR-IOV but I cannot seem to get SR-IOV to work.  The OS is currently using the default drivers.  Are there other drivers I could use that will allow me to utilize SR-IOV? Is there a way to enable SR-IOV with the drivers I am currently using?  The downloads page is not clear as to which I should/shouldn't use. Also, since this server is a bit old, nothing shows support for the OS I am using. Any help would be appreciated.

Any guidance on drivers for this server would be appreciated, whether for the NIC cards or any other component.

Thanks.

June 14th, 2020 08:00

Ok, additional testing.  Even though Get-VMHost stated that SR-IOV was supported, when I ran Get-VMSwitch it returns the following for both adapters:

Name                     : External vAdapter
IovEnabled               : True
IovSupport               : False
IovSupportReasons        : {This network adapter does not support SR-IOV.}
IovQueuePairCount        : 0
IovQueuePairsInUse       : 0
IovVirtualFunctionCount  : 0
IovVirtualFunctionsInUse : 0

Name                     : External vAdapter 2
IovEnabled               : True
IovSupport               : False
IovSupportReasons        : {This network adapter does not support SR-IOV.}
IovQueuePairCount        : 0
IovQueuePairsInUse       : 0
IovVirtualFunctionCount  : 0
IovVirtualFunctionsInUse : 0

Notice that SR-IOV is enabled but it states the adapter does not support it.  According to all documentation, and the BIOS on the server, SR-IOV is supported, and enabled.  

Is this a driver issue?   The driver listed for both adapters is Driver Date 2016-05-16 Version 7.13.57.103 NDIS 6.30.  Is there a different driver I should be using to enable SR-IOV?

June 14th, 2020 08:00

Additional note:  When I run Get-VMHost | fl. I see the below information regarding SR-IOV displayed.

IovSupport        : False
IovSupportReasons : {The chipset on the system has errata which may cause system instability if SR-IOV is used. As a precaution, the ability to use SR-IOV has been
disabled. SR-IOV may be enabled by running "bcdedit /set {current} hypervisoriommupolicy enable" on the host. If the system exhibits instability after SR-IOV is enabled, consider restoring the default policy which will disable the ability to use SR-IOV.}

I ran the command specified above and the output changed to IovSupport : True.  Is anyone aware of a way to determine if it is actually working?

• 

3.4K Posts

June 14th, 2020 23:00

Hi,

Could you check the settings in BIOS? Also, are you running on the latest firmware in BIOS and LCC? If no, could you run updates on it.

https://dell.to/3e4vQ9w

No Events found!