Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

JS

February 26th, 2018 16:00

Dell Poweredge 2950 Not Initializing/Booting

So I just got a Dell PowerEdge 2950 the other day, I added new hard drives and an operating system, the server powered on and seemed to be working. However, the drives began flashing amber and the server wouldn't initialize/boot, even if the drives were removed. I am trying a few other options but I am pretty much stuck on solutions. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 27th, 2018 05:00

Jeremiah Smith,

If you are referring to the server not completing POST (Power On Self Test) then I would suggest taking the server to the minimum required hardware necessary for it to complete post and see if it works. Minimum to POST for the 2950 is removing everything from the server but the following;

Dell - PowerEdge 2950 (London) - Minimum to POST
System board
Processor (with heatsink) in socket 1
Two sticks of memory in memory slots 1 and 2
1 power supply
Control panel (to turn on system)
Sideplane
Both PCI risers; PCI-e in center slot, (PCI-e or PCI-X) in left slot

Once everything else is removed then power the system. If the 2950 completes POST then I would individually replace the removed parts, one by one, until the issue reappears. That will identify the culprit that is causing the issue. Now if the server still doesn't POST in the Min to POST configuration, then one of those listed devices above has failed, or has a bad connection. If you private message me the svc tag I can also know the hardware we are working with as well.

Let me know what you see.

No Events found!