Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

3 Posts

February 14th, 2019 07:00

Dell R715 Fans Spin up on Startup and then System shuts off

Hello,

I have an R715 that when plugged in the fans will spin up to high speed and then they cutout. The system will not respond to the power button being pressed and the LED 8 light on the Motherboard starts blinking once the fans cut out. LCD screen shows nothing when plugged in.

Do any of you folks have any thoughts as to what the problem might be? Do you know what the blinking LED8 on the motherboard would indicate?

Thank you for your help!

6 Posts

February 14th, 2019 09:00

What cards are installed in that system?

#Iwork4Dell

• 

6.2K Posts

February 14th, 2019 10:00

Hello

You would just need to perform no POST/Power troubleshooting. We have an article on it:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/sln111201/

The debug codes on the system board might be available internally, but it is not likely to be useful. It is likely just a fault code or some type of power error. Whatever the error the troubleshooting is the same. You need to fault isolate and remove as many possibilities as you can.

If there is no response from the power button then it could be an issue with the button or control panel that it is attached. You can try reseating cables or swapping the control panel if you have another system.

Thanks

3 Posts

February 14th, 2019 10:00

The only card installed is a RAID card. I did try pulling that and starting the system and the result was the same. Thank you for the reply. Please share any thoughts that you might have.

3 Posts

February 22nd, 2019 06:00

Hi Dainel,

Thank you for your help. I went through this article and still nothing. I tried swapping the power and error screen control board with another system I have and still nothing. Would you believe this to be a fault then with the main board?

when the power supply gets connected the fans spin up really high as you'd expect them to and then they completely cut out and that LED 8 on the Main board starts blinking.

Thank you!

• 

6.2K Posts

February 22nd, 2019 09:00

If I were making a guess at the most likely part, the system board would be it.

5 Posts

June 13th, 2022 02:00

Hi @shonky2 ,did you ever get solution? I have the exact problem on a similar model. It was functional the last time I used it before retiring.

Thanks. 

5 Posts

June 13th, 2022 05:00

Hi @Dell-ErmanO , thanks for the response, I have however tried the above steps with no luck.

The problem is that the funs spin for about 2-3 seconds and the power button let lights up briefly, then they all go off. On the board, I believe the blinking led8 on the Motherboard means something.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks. 

• 

2.4K Posts

Hi, Can you try to drain residual power at first? Then Can you try to minimum to post as below?

to power drain

Shut down server.

Remove power cable (all power cables if there are redundant power supplies)

Hold the power button in for 15 seconds.

Reconnect the power cables.

Wait 2 mins(this is to give the iDRAC time to initialize)

Restart the server.

to minimum POST

System Board

CPU1 with heat sink (minimum for troubleshooting)

Single DIMM configuration with DIMM in socket A1

Control Panel with cable (to power system on)

Expansion Riser

PSU (and for redundant PSU also the PDB/PIB)

If the above troubleshooting steps don't help I would suspect a hardware error. It could be a motherboard issue.

Hope that helps!

• 

2.4K Posts

Hi, Other than the above steps, NVRAM_CLR might be helpful.  page 41 and 173 on that manual you can see how to do it(include figures) https://dell.to/3tyjW1E

and I find a R710 video but I believe it should be very similar to R715 https://dell.to/3zyRUqx

Also if you have upgraded server please remove those parts and check same troubleshooting steps.

No Events found!