Unsolved

P

1 Rookie

• 

70 Posts

October 15th, 2020 05:00

Dell R900 Fan Speed control allways on MAX speed and PowerConsumption 1175Watts

Hi Guys

we have a Dell R900 PowerEdge that has the following symptom, the fan speed are always at max blow, and the powerconsumption measured is running on boot at 1100Watts then durning running period goes down to 900watts

i am wondering if this is normal, as we have a older Dell PowerEdge Version that runs on 700watts on boot then on idle mode running goes down to average 250watts to 300watts...and fan speeds lower down.

But on this Dell R900 they seem to go on full blow all the time.

the specs we have on the R900 is

4 Cpus XEON X7460  /6core 

128GB RAM 

5 HDD 330GB SAS 15K RPM

Perc 6

• 

3.4K Posts

April 4th, 2021 23:00

Hi,

Unfortunately, I don't have any white papers or documentation that what R900 power consumption is, therefore, I unsure if that's the actual numbers for R900 to run at, would that be normal or abnormal. 

I checked, the server does support X7460, with the DPN# GN579.

With no hardware errors and all firmware have been updated, I can't say if that's an issue if the server is drawing an amount of power. Perhaps, to troubleshoot further, do you have any other CPU to test with?

1 Rookie

• 

70 Posts

April 9th, 2021 16:00

Hi @DELL-Joey C

thanks for your input, i was able to upgrade all de old drivers on iDRAC, PERC etc.. but i had to unmount my RAID5,  mount a raid0 on a new hdd, with windows server 2008 installed on the machine.. somehow the VWMARE machines with windows servers, did not manage to upgrade the bios, perhaps because it does not have direct access to bare metal.. instead was able to upgrade all the drivers once i pre-installed win server directly on the hdd ..

after that i mounted my other hdds back on the raid5 stored in them.. and upgraded the latest Security patch for the EXSI version i am running on.. and some other features of hardware have been recognised also on the vmware.. but then again.. IDLE point does not drop down more then 600watts consumption.. i guess its related to all the hardware on the machine.. and now running with 4 vm machines up.. running at about 650watts to 700watts..

so i am just about to give up on lowering power consumption on this hardware, and get myself a small setup solar grid to help reduce the costs on electricity bills.

No Events found!