Rack Servers

Last reply by 05-24-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have 3 Physical disks on a RAID 5 and would like to add another HDD to it to expand storage

Hi,

I have a Dell PowerEdge R620 with PERC H710 Mini RAID Controller. I don't see a Reconfigure Virtual Disk Option Under Virtual Disk Management to add the 4th hdd. Can you please direct me to an instruction page that I could use to complete the task? 

I'm not sure if I first clear the configuration and then the try to add, I will have the Reconfigure Virtual Disk Option visible to add the 4th hdd as shown in the instruction below:

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000116592/how-reconfigure-a-virtual-disk-or-add-additional-...

Also I'm not sure clearing the configuration could lead to data loss. 

I am using IDRAC 7. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Replies (12)

Forgot to add the screenshot of the new Virtual Disk255:

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 11.42.12 AM.png

Current working Virtual Disk:

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 11.48.44 AM.png

@DELL-Shine K can you help answering my questions, please?

7 Thorium

The reason you use certified drives is so that the make / model doesn't matter - all drives have the instruction set needed to communicate with the controller, regardless of make / model. Anything non-certified may or may not work. I think it is unlikely in this scenario, but this can NEVER be dismissed as a potential problem.

OMSA has to be installed on the physical server - it won't work in a VM. VMWare has a VIB with OMSA functionality ... if that is what is installed on the server.

You cannot expand a RAID array when multiple arrays are configured across the same set of disks, regardless of whether you use the controller's BIOS configuration utility or OMSA. How many "disks" does the OS see?

In any case, the above is only educational at this point. Your problem is the Foreign configuration on the new disk. You must CLEAR that Foreign configuration before you can do anything with that disk. Once you clear it, it will show as Ready, then, assuming you only have a single array across the disks, you can reconfigure the array to add a disk.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions