Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

36 Posts

August 25th, 2022 13:00

IDRAC 7 not responding on Dell PowerEdge R720xd

Hello There,

This week was good time for new experiences of work with Dell servers 12th generation.

Two servers was shutdown due to issued with built-in idrac module firmware.

Server A was updated via RACADM and never boot up again normal way, only to message about failed idrac.

Server B was updated via EXE file, but failed later as well.

Both servers has same Firmware IDRAC 1.65.65.04

Currently I tried to:

See if F2 has available option to enable the Lifecycle Controller - no, error SWC0700 on both of them.

Pressed down i button for 16 seconds to restart Lifecycle Controller - no luck

Now I ordered two Server bays just to switch hdds and ram to "new" box.

Please let me know if anything else I may try, or maybe you may help with some additional information.

I placed some pictures to illustrate my story.

And how you do insure yourself for such cases?

Image1.jpegImage3.jpegImage2.jpegImage.jpeg

143 Posts

August 26th, 2022 01:00

Hi @brosysadm,

I would recommend you try the below steps.

• Restart iDRAC

https://dell.to/3APMU0W

• Power Drain

1. Power the server down.  

2. Disconnect the server from all power cables, Network cables. (remove redundant power supplies)

3. Hold down the power button continuously for at least 10 seconds.  

4. Insert power cables and network cables back into the system.  

5. Wait about 2 minutes before powering on the server to give the iDRAC time to initialize. 

6. Power the system on. 

•  NVRAM clear

https://dell.to/3KljhrB

If these steps don't resolve the issue, I'm afraid we have to replace the motherboard.

36 Posts

August 26th, 2022 21:00

Hi @Dell-Dheeraj I tried exactly as described. Tried to shutdown and wait, drain power and wait and start again. But nothing helped. Ended up I got used server bay and moved my cpu, ram, hdds.

36 Posts

August 27th, 2022 06:00

for those servers where IDRAC is built in exist any safe procedure to install the update for idrac and to not get into the troubles with mb replacement?

• 

4.1K Posts

August 28th, 2022 20:00

Hi, I can see due to the Idrac initialize fail, MB replacement is unavoidable. I'd say you must take an extra caution for any changes you make. Wish you a good one and let us know if you any further questions.

36 Posts

August 29th, 2022 09:00

Just to recap, I tried to upgrade to idrac and got corrupted lifecycle controller. as solution for that I found the MB replacement. Actually I got the used R720xd server bay and swapped out the cpu, ram, hdds.

Now I have working server, but old lifecycle controller firmware again. 

8 Posts

September 1st, 2022 01:00

I also have a R720 with an failed iDRAC 7 firmware update. Currently the system is still running (Windows Server), but the iDRAC is no longer responding (Web UI not accessible, no ping/link on iDRAC ethernet port).

Since this is a productive system, I'm afraid the server won't boot back into Windows again, once I shutdown/restart to see, if I can reset/re-flash iDRAC in BIOS.

Can you guys confirm, that I will at least be able to boot back into Windows, even if the fans are at 100%? Or will I end up having a completely bricked server after I shutdown/restart?

Thanks in advance.

143 Posts

September 1st, 2022 03:00

Hi @madeyem,

We cannot assure you that the server will boot to windows after the restart.

36 Posts

September 1st, 2022 11:00

Hi @madeyem 

for last week, I got two briks R720xd, do no follow my mistakes.

As soon you will restart the server, you will end up to infinity loop of booting

Configuring Memory > Configuring Memory - Done! >  Initializing iDRAC > Alert! iDRAC not responding. Rebooting.

It will happens because without Lifecycle firmware, the server will not be able to recognize hardware.

36 Posts

September 1st, 2022 12:00

I am going to try to recover those bricks actually, as soon I will get the ram, by following SD card's method.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000120131/poweredge-idrac-recovery-procedure-with-firmimg-d7

8 Posts

September 1st, 2022 23:00

@brosysadm 

Thanks for your message.

Please let me know, if flashing the iDRAC with SD card works in your case. Other admins have reported (in different threads), that this did not help either and they had to replace the motherboard.

I will wait and make sure I have a plan B ready, in case my server doesn't come up anymore after reboot.

This seems to be a flaw, that has been there from the beginning with certain server models (e.g. R720/xd). It is pretty unfortunate, that one is left alone with this. I do think, that Dell should still support those cases, even if the warranty is expired. At the end of the day updating the firmware should not result in a bricked server. This is the manufacturer's fault.

1 Message

November 15th, 2023 15:28

@madeyem​ 

I recently acquired an R720 with the .5 second flashing SHAI (System Health and Identify) LED.

I followed these instructions: https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000120131/poweredge-idrac-recovery-procedure-with-firmimg-d7

I used an older 1GB card and formatted it to FAT32, copied firmimg.d7 to it, stuck it in the SD card slot on the front panel and it worked like a charm! 

I realize this is an older post and you may have resolved yours already, but I didn't find any other success stories and wanted to add mine here for others!

Now I need to update my severely outdated BIOS firmware, as it's not communicating properly with the latest version iDRAC....

No Events found!