Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 20th, 2018 01:00

PE R510 with PERC H700, 1 disk from RAID5 in Predictive Failure

Hello Community,

I have PE R510 server with PERC H700.

4 disks are configured RAID5 and now 1 disk is in Predictive Failure state, flashing green and amber.

I have exact same spare disk, but I'm not sure how to change the failing disk, because I never perform such task before.

Should I just pull the disk out and put a new disk in while an operating system (FreeBSD) is running on the server?

Or change the disk when server is PERC BIOS (Ctrl+R)?

Maybe shutdown the server and change the disk?

Please help.

Best Regards,

Bat

• 

8.7K Posts

April 25th, 2018 07:00

You can reboot once the rebuild starts. You may want to make sure it reaches 1% but it isn't required.

• 

8.7K Posts

April 20th, 2018 09:00

Hi,

Can you private message me the service tag so we can get some additional information?

The best way to do it is to use Openmanage server administrator to offline the drive and then replace it while the server is up. We do not have OMSA for FreeBSD so you would have to boot to our live image.  http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=CWF92

2 Posts

April 24th, 2018 18:00

Dear Josh,

I sent the Service Tag to you via PM.

So I'll boot to the live image, run OpenManage Server Administrator, force the failing disk offline, pull it out when the server is ON and running live image, put new disk, and the RAID will rebuild.

But can I restart the server while the RAID rebuilds and boot to FreeBSD? Or I have to wait until the RAID rebuilds 100%?

Regards,

BAT

No Events found!