Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 10th, 2019 04:00

PERC H700 RAID 5 expansion from PERC BIOS

I've got a Dell R710 with a PERC H700 and a RAID 5 array with 4x 2 TB drives inside. I've recently installed a 5th 2 TB drive and was hoping to increase the capacity of the existing virtual drive through the BIOS. However, the "Expand VD size" option is grayed out.

From this link, the issue seems to be that I've maxed out my existing virtual disk space so I can't increase it. Was it ever intended to be able to add physical disks to existing virtual drives through the PERC BIOS? Do I have e to use OMSA to do this? I'd prefer to avoid it if I could.

FYI I installed the OMSA 9.1 VIB on the ESXi 6.0 host I'm using.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

February 11th, 2019 08:00

Hello,

Using OpenManage is the only way that I know of to add drives to the array. I took a look at the manual for the PERC, but I didn't see an option to do this from the config utility.

H700 Manual: https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_dell_adapters/poweredge-rc-h700_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf

2 Posts

February 11th, 2019 10:00

Thanks for the link. I ended up making a Vm for Windows Server 2012 and installing OpenManage on that, seems to be working well.

No Events found!