Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 27th, 2019 10:00

Power supplies, no redundancy, R710

We have had an ongoing issue with one of our R710 servers.

Two new power supplies but the system is still reporting that redundancy has been lost. 

It knows that two power supplies are installed but it doesn't report any wattage etc. for one of them regardless of which supply is in slot 1. Slot one is showing firmware version 8.13. I have no idea if this is new or old. I can't find an option to upgrade the firmware on the power supplies.

I have swapped the power supplies to make sure that the issue isn't with one of them.

Any ideas? It looks like the power supplies mount into a chassis that might be replaceable but I can't find a part number to save my life.

Other ideas?

• 

6.2K Posts

June 27th, 2019 12:00

Hello

The power supplies must be supplying the same output to function in a redundant configuration. If you have mixed wattage power supplies then redundancy will be lost. Also, if the input voltage is not the same redundancy will be lost. The power supplies are auto-ranging, so they will work with a range of input voltage. If the input is different the output is different.

You should also make sure the BIOS and iDRAC are updated. PSU firmware may not be available, if it is available it will be on the system support page. PSU firmware is typically released for specific PSU part numbers or wattage. PSU firmware may not work across all PSUs.

http://www.dell.com/support/

@glennwelker wrote:

It looks like the power supplies mount into a chassis that might be replaceable but I can't find a part number to save my life.

The cage that holds the PSUs will not change redundancy behavior. The PSUs connect to a power distribution board. The PDB may be integrated into the system board. If there are no issues with the input or PSUs then the PDB would be the next likely part to replace. If it is integrated into the system board then you will need to replace the system board to replace the PDB.

Thanks

No Events found!