Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 14th, 2008 18:00

PowerEdge 1750 - Need server to startup on power connect

Hi,

I have a PowerEdge 1750 that is being prepared for a remote data center. If the power to the server fails for any reason I want the server to start up again when power is restored.

I can't seem to find that setting. The BIOS Power button setting only controls the button behavior.

Is there a way to get the server to start up when power is connected?

Thanks,

Don

13 Posts

June 16th, 2008 10:00

I don't think this is an available option with the 1750.

171 Posts

June 16th, 2008 13:00

I'm not 100% sure on this but if you install a DRAC card that might give you the ability to power up the server if there is a loss of power.

Will Beene
Will@RackSolutions.com
903-453-0835 

2 Posts

September 19th, 2008 17:00

UPDATE (SOLVED):  Okay, I'm going to eat crow here a little bit.  I know now why I never found the setting - however at least on our Poweredge 2950's - and it actually IS there and available:

Of all places, Dell decided to put a AC POWER RECOVERY setting under the SYSTEM SECURITY setting of the BIOS.  I've never, ever seen this done - and this should be moved to it's own section called 'POWER SETTINGS'.  To top that off, it is the VERY last option in a small window that comes up when you select the SYSTEM SECURITY settings - further hiding this option.

Any rate, if you go to the very bottom of the list under SYSTEM SETTINGS, there is a AC Power Recovery setting that is set to 'LAST'.  Change that to 'ON' - and now you've got your desired effect of being able to shut down 'gracefully' the server through regular Windows shutdown - then kill power (remotely if you have the capability) .... then power it back on ... and it does power itself back on with this setting in our case.

DELL, MOVE THIS SETTING!  It wasted over 2 hours of my time and much frustration in thinking our power bar was not needed.

Thanks - Kevin

Message Edited by kmrussell on 09-19-2008 02:07 PM

2 Posts

September 19th, 2008 17:00

I've ran into these too on our Poweredge 2950 Rack Servers.  This is ridiculous that Dell doesn't have an option for this in the BIOS - as any other desktop or server does (including those I built three years ago with Intel Server motherboards).

We also had purchased a $700 APC PDU (Power Distribution) bar from Dell JUST so that we could remotely power on and off the servers:

So here's the 'chincy' way it works right now:  The server (at least our 2950's) apparently is force to a setting of 'LAST ON' - which means if the server WAS powered on before when it lost power ... then it will power itself back on when power is restored.

My problem is, let's say we need to power down the server fully while Windows Server is running:  This means that in order for us to do so - and have the server come back on when power is restored (via turning power off then on with our $700 PDU) - we have to FORCE the power off which means powering off the server WHILE Windows Server is still running and not doing a graceful shutdown.

I don't think I need to tell Dell Engineers the consequences of forcefully powering off a computer, much less a server, while it is running.

I'm going to call Dell upper level support and let you know what I find - but I think a simple missing feature like this, a power setting that is available even on cheap desktops, is ridiculous and makes our Dell servers look bad.  I hope this isn't some half-brained cheap attempt to try to get us to buy DRAC cards for each server - which would nullify the point of buying the expensive APC PDU to begin with.

1 Rookie

• 

59 Posts

February 7th, 2009 10:00

This thread is NOT solved.

It may be that the person with the 2950 solved "their" issue, but the thread was started about a 1750!

I agree, that Dell engineers can be half-brained at times since when the 1750 was developed, they should have already known how important the power settings would have been to put it in the bios!

Personally, I think this should exist in the 1550 bios as well.

They could also fix this easily with a bios upgrade, but then that would add new life into an older server line and make Dell Servers more valuable....hmmm what a thought...

No Events found!