Start a Conversation

Unsolved

EM

5 Posts

March 20th, 2019 11:00

PowerEdge 1850 Wont recognize internal drives

Hello. I’m new to this forum and need some help. It’s been years since I’ve worked on windows and especially server operating systems. I recently purchased a Power Edge 1850 without an OS installed. The unit has two internal hot swap drives, a dvd drive and a floppy on the front. In the rear it has all the normal connections plus a scsi card with one connection. The Bios is A07, has 2 gigs of ram, 16 mb of video memory, dual Xeon 2.80 processors. I can’t get it to see the internal drives. I tried Win Adv Serve 2003 and even Win NT but it keeps saying there are no hard drives and kicks out the dvd. Do I need to update the bios before attempting os install? Oh and it also says amount of memory limited to 256!

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

March 20th, 2019 12:00

"Oh and it also says amount of memory limited to 256!"

Disable OS Install Mode in the BIOS Setup (F2).

2003 is too old to talk to the storage/RAID controller on the 1850. It is also end of life, so don't use it.

NT, really?! Just through those disks away.

If you use Server 2008, it will recognize the RAID controller automatically. 2008 R2 will need the PERC drivers loaded during the install.

In ANY case, if using the onboard RAID controller (PERC 4e/Si) you MUST first configure RAID on the PERC before anything can be seen by the OS.

Thanks so much, It's been a while I know. Did Win server 2003 give it away or was it Win NT? I just started to do the install without any research. I thought it would be just like riding a bike. I appreciate your help! Ed

I disabled the OS Install mode, rebooted, pressed ctrl+M at next start and the Perc Utility doesn't come up. How do I check if I actually have the Perf 4 installed? I tried this several times now and still nothing. 

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

NT. Nobody in their right mind would be using that anymore. For any reason whatsoever. ;)

Loading storage drivers used to be pretty commonplace, but with modern (what you are talking about isn't 'modern' :)) OS's most manufacturers have worked with Microsoft to embed needed drivers into the OS.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

You could check for the RAID battery, DIMM, and key in the system, but the easier way would be to boot to BIOS, Integrated Devices, Embedded RAID set to SCSI or RAID Enabled ... if SCSI, can you switch to RAID? If not, you probably don't have the components needed to enabled it. If you can switch to RAID, then that is your PERC 4e/Di.

March 25th, 2019 13:00

I finally had some time this weekend and opened the server. I am missing the RAID battery, DIMM, and the key. I just purchased all of these online and as soon as they are installed I will get back and let you know what happened. Hopefully nothing else is missing. Thanks for your help!
No Events found!