Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 14th, 2020 11:00

PowerEdge R520 Stuck on Scanning for Devices

Admittedly, I made a mistake. When attempting to reset the root password, I modified the boot line rather than the GRUB as intended. This has lead to me getting stuck in the scanning for devices on boot and I can no longer modify it because of this. I attempted to go through the BIOS boot manager to boot from Hard drive C: RAID PERC, but after selecting it the system freezes. Is there anything else I can do to fix my issue?

Thank you

• 

8.8K Posts

July 22nd, 2020 12:00

When the drives are installed the raid controller is reporting the Virtual Disk, which makes the system try to find the OS to hand off to, but when you remove them the controller is reporting there isn't an active Virtual Disk, so it passes on to the next device in the boot order, then when there isn't a boot device found it gives the error. This is all normal and should not be a concern.

• 

3.4K Posts

July 14th, 2020 19:00

Hi, 

It sounds like the boot partition is corrupted after the edit. I'm not very verse with boot partition restoration. May I know how did you edit the boot line? 

If you were to use a Linux live CD, would you be able to restore the boot file? 

Let me know further about your issue. 

July 15th, 2020 10:00

While booting, in the loading VMware ESX i, I hit shift and O to edit the boot line and added the word single (I was attempting to follow an online guide on how to reset the root password but edited the boot line rather than a line in the GRUB) and I am unsure if I would be able to restore it using a Linux live CD (I'm not sure how I would go about that)

On the same train of thought, I need to reset the password for 3 other similar devices. Do you happen to know how I might go about doing that? This is of course not the highest priority, but if you happen to know a good way to do this, it would be greatly appreciated.

• 

8.8K Posts

July 15th, 2020 11:00

You would need to change the drop down on the upper right to the correct version of ESXi, then on the lower left drop down set that the Enterprise Solutions, then locate the ISO for your specific ESXi version.

• 

8.8K Posts

I don't believe the Live CD will help with the issue, you may need the ESXi custom ISO found here

As far as the passwords, we are not able to assist in circumventing security functions, features, or logins. 

I see. following the link and searching for esxi I found multiple drivers. Which one should I use? 

qwertyuioplark2_1-1594839023874.png

And shame about the inability to help with the passwords, but that does make sense.

July 15th, 2020 12:00

I am uncertain which version of esxi I am using. Is there a way I can find out? For background as to what I am doing, the company I am working with right now are liquidating for bankruptcy, unfortunately they lost their passwords for their servers, just so you don't think I am trying to steal information. This also means that I can (and need to) wipe all the drives and reset the server completely. If this is easier then finding and repairing the boot sequence that is an option as well.

Thank you

I am willing to download either one. It seems putty would be easier to get, but should I choose one over the other?

Thank you

• 

8.8K Posts

Do you have access to Putty or vSphere?

• 

8.8K Posts

This article covers multiple ways of verifying your version. 

• 

8.8K Posts

Was there nothing following the 6.5.0, such as Update or U? If not I would go with the 6.5 version.

I found the version to be ESXi 6.5.0. From here I am unsure which one to get 

qwertyuioplark2_0-1594842963394.png

Should I just get the latest version?

July 15th, 2020 13:00

All it said was ESX i 6.5.0 (VMKernel Release Build 4887370) so ill go with the 6.5.0 version and let you know how it goes. Should I do this in a boot or in the lifecycle controller? I also want to double check that when I put a .iso on a disk I should format it then put it on there with nothing else, correct? I apologize for my lake of knowledge on the matter but I appreciate your patience.

• 

3.7K Posts

Hello qwertyuioplark2,

When you burn the ISO you need to burn it as an image. Something like imgburn or the like. You would not just copy over the iso.

See if you are creating your USB correctly so that it is bootable. Test boot it in another system. May burn a DVD and use that instead.

Test any other commercially printed DVD to make sure you can boot.  If you choose the F11 in POST you can select your boot device with the One Shot Boot menu.

Inserting the disk and booting from the bios boot lead to the system sizing up like when I boot from C: booting from UEFI got to the scanning for devices portion before it froze up again.

No Events found!