Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

4 Posts

July 30th, 2018 13:00

R310 - HDDs don't fit bay

Hey,

I have a R310 with backplane/hot swap chassis running.

Recently I bought another used R310, but the cabled version, my mistake I didn't look at that more detailed.

As I wanted to move my HDDs with the hot swap trays into the second R310 I noticed they won't fit the HDD bays?

Some "metal noses" seem to differ in both kinds of the chassis and obstruct the way, as I took some photos from the inside.

I cannot see how to break through those !"§$%…

My original wish was to upgrade another backplane to the new R310 and make it hot swappable this way - but what if the hot swap drives cannot mechanically fit into it, even if I had the backplane?

Is there any (simple) chance I can solve that Chassis problem? Or am I wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

• 

6.2K Posts

July 30th, 2018 16:00

Hello

The cabled drive configuration uses different carriers than the backplane configuration. You might be able to switch to a backplane from cabled configuration. We do not have any guides or kits to change the drive configuration, it is not supported. I suggest looking to see what is different between the two systems. You will likely need additional cabling to go with the backplane.

http://www.dell.com/support/

Thanks

4 Posts

July 30th, 2018 22:00

Thanks for the quick reply.

I see those two different types of carrier with the metal one and the plastic one, no problem to put the HDD from one into the other - but what I wouldn't expect to differ was the inside of the 3,5"-slots. Yet I see and feel the mismatch, when trying to slide the same trays/carriers into the same slot 0,1,2 or 3 of each R310. No way without breaking some parts, if you ask me. 

Buying that backplane could be simple and I already got the necessary cable to connect miniSAS (controller) to miniSAS (backplane), no problem so far, but I don't see how to modifiy the slot inside the chassis. And without fitting HDD-carriers I cannot use the backplane... :(

So I just wondered if you knew there are different types of the chassis of the R310 or whether I am too blind to see how to fix that...

4 Posts

July 31st, 2018 06:00

To give you some image slot of R310 without backplaneslot of R310 without backplaneof my problem…

slot of R310 with backplaneslot of R310 with backplanehot swap carrier/tray won't fit into slot of hot swap carrier/tray won't fit into slot of "cable-configured" R310

Maybe it's easier now to understand what i mean with the "not fitting carrier".

Kind regards...

4 Posts

July 31st, 2018 09:00

Well, ok then, if you at least say there are 4 different types of chassis, this is where I leave my further ideas behind. Didn't think the chassis with some of those rivets could be the bottleneck of my transformation intentions… :)

Maybe buying that RAID cable with P/N 0X394K and using it together with the chassis-matching HDD-plastic carriers in a not-hotswappable way is my best option.

Pity then...

But: Hey, thank you for the quick information (and disappointing answer to the problem with the chassis-versions)!

• 

6.2K Posts

July 31st, 2018 09:00

That is not an easy question to answer. As I stated previously, changing the backplane is not supported. We don't have any documentation on it. It requires a lot of digging through part lists and cross-checking parts. I looked and there are four different chassis for the R310. There are v1 and v2 for the cabled and hot plug configuration. I did not look through the part list of each one to see what is different.

Based on your pictures, I think it is safe to assume there is a difference in the drive cage used between the hot plug and cabled configuration. That is a chassis part, we do not carry that part. I think that cage is riveted in as well, so if you were able to find someone piecing out an R310 it would be difficult to replace that cage.

No Events found!