Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 16th, 2022 03:00

R720 The system board fail-safe voltage is outside of range.

Hello,

I have a server R720. Two days ago the server shut down because the power supplies got hot. after that the server cannot start.

Here is the logs that was found on the iDrac:

Tue Aug 16 2022 10:14:36 The system board fail-safe voltage is outside of range.
Sun Aug 14 2022 03:04:38 The system board fail-safe voltage is outside of range.
Sun Aug 14 2022 03:04:22 The system board NDC PG voltage is outside of range.
Sun Aug 14 2022 03:04:22 A bus fatal error was detected on a component at bus 1 device 0 function 0.

i have tried these:

1. I removed all the harddisks, graphigscard, all the rams, i removed the power cords and i have hold the power button for 40 second's.

unfortunately after that it couldn't start

2.. I removed  all the harddisks, graphigscard, i left only one ram and after that i tried to boot the server, but again the server shows me the same error on the iDrac

System Boot The system board fail-safe voltage is outside of range.

3. i have reset idrac but it didn't help

Can someone help me please?

Thank a lot,

Stefanos

• 

8.8K Posts

August 16th, 2022 08:00

Stefgrifon,

What I suggest is that you take the R720 to its minimum to post configuration, that is removing everything, internally and externally, from the server but the following;

One Power Supply
Control Panel (for power button functionality)
Working cable connection between control panel and system board
One Processor (CPU) in socket CPU1 (minimum for troubleshooting)
One Memory Module (DIMM) installed in socket A1
System Board
Backplane (for R720xd control panel connection)

Once you do that then try powering up, if it still doesn't complete post then power down again, remove the power cords, then hold the power button for 20 seconds to drain the flea power. Once that is done then open the cover and locate the NVRAM_CLR jumper (located behind the connection point of power supply #1) and move the jumper over, once done then power the server and clear the NVRam. Afterwards power back down and then restore the jumper to its original location, then power up and see if the server posts. If it still doesn't then the issue is within one of the devices listed above and would likely need a replacement.

Let me know what you see.

20 Posts

August 17th, 2022 04:00

Thank you very much for the answer!

No Events found!