Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 13th, 2021 02:00

R940 compatible GPU

Hello..

I have a Dell R940 server with 2 CPU's used for data research. I would like to install a nvidia GPU into it.

(a) How do I get a list of supported GPU's for this server ? The objective is to start using a relatively low end card, and migrate upwards later.

(b) It currently has 1100W single power supply (450-ADWL Single, Hot-plug Power Supply (1+0), 1100W). How do I go about upgrading this power supply? Will a Dell power supply have the necessary pins for connecting the GPU card power supply?

(c) Can I purchase higher capacity power supply, and retain both into the system ?

Thanks for your attention and time

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

May 13th, 2021 03:00

There are R940 and R940xa out there.

Only for a XA there is listet an Nvidia GPU as customkit:

NVIDIA Tesla V100S 32 GB, 260W, Double Wide, Passive, Full Height GPU, Customer Install 490-BFRT

More powerfull PSUs are available: See 450-AENT and 450-AGFW for example.

Regards,
Joerg

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

May 13th, 2021 03:00

GPU and GPGPU are not supported on R940.  You may able to get some of the GPU work on this server but I can not guarantee that it will work as it is not validated. There will not be any power connector on the motherboard/PSU for GPGPU which need extra power.

4 Posts

May 14th, 2021 14:00

Thanks for the clarification...

This is such a setback. The team should have opted for HP servers - those were supporting GPGPU in 2017 when this server was acquired - but the team did not research the possibility of a server not supporting a GPU.

R940xa was launched subsequently...

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

Back in 2017 Dell also offered Server with GPUs. We have some of these

The culprit is that you need to make the right decision from the beginning because when going the GPU route you are sometimes limited in CPU models, need special cooler, larger PSUs, Cabling kits. The GPUs are often Pasive, Reverse or standard cooling. Also the GPUs are available as left or right depending on the location of the riser.
Upgrading later isnt that easy.

I would try a cheap nvidia from ebay or a refurbished one and see how it goes.

Regards,
Joerg

4 Posts

Hello there...

There are two 8-pin power supply outlets on the R940 motherboard - and those work perfectly. 

Clarifying just so that the answer does not end up confusing other readers.

Regards,

1 Message

July 26th, 2022 11:00

So, you were able to get a gpu to work on the R940?  If so, can you tell me which model gpu you used?

Thanks,

4 Posts

July 30th, 2022 03:00

No such luck... have added from other major server supplier a few. - surprisingly, the GPU in those can be upgraded/downgraded freely etc. .. The DELL one remains as it is ... frozen in time ...

1 Message

December 6th, 2023 20:06

Hello friend.. I need your contact and see what GPU card you used for this server. I need to adapt mine.. I have 2 1500W power supplies I have enough

No Events found!