Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

June 9th, 2009 01:00

Two PE 2950, ESX 3i and one MD3000i

Hi,

I have just set up the IP addresses and hooked up the management and iSCSI wiring between the devices above.

Can someone here point me in the right direction on what are the correct order to step from here?  Any links to white papres...

I assume I need to divide the MD3000i drives into volumes, and then I need to prepare the PE2950's ESX3i to create virtual machines and assign storage volumes to each virtual machine.

Thanks a lot for comments and tips on how to proceed from here.

best regards

Tor

847 Posts

June 9th, 2009 10:00

1st, Define your VM network nics, your iSCSI nics, your managemnet nics on your ESXi hosts.

2nd, On the san define your host(s) / host groups.  You wil generally want both your ESXi hosts in the same host group, this way both hosts will have access to all the same datastors / VM's.

3rd,  Carve up the san, upon the 1st Virtual disk as well as subsequent virtual disks, map them to the host group. 

31 Posts

June 10th, 2009 00:00

Thanks a lot.  My problem seems that I cannot assign the double onboard nic that I have connected to the iSCSI switch as a storage adapter.  This is my adapter list:

Storage Adapters
vmhba1 MegaRaid SAS 1078 conbtroller
vmhba0+33 3100 chipset SATA storage controller IDE
vmhba34 iSCSI software adapter (SAN identifier iqn.199801.com.vmware:mybox-id)
vmhba32 USB storage controller

Network adapters
vmnic0-1 (onboard nic) connected to iscsi switch
vmnic2-3 (pci card) not connected
vmnic4-5 (pci card) 4 not connected, 5 connected to management net

I have manually created / installed the vmhba34 iSCSI software adapter.  But I don't know if I should have done that.  My vmnic0-1 (onboard double nic) is connected to the iSCSI switch, but appears on the network adapter list.  Should this adapter be removed from the network adapter list and assigned to the iSCSI software adapter ?  Anyhow, how can I correctly assign my PE boxes nic adapters as iSCSI adapters...?

Thanks for comments on this.

rgds tor

847 Posts

June 10th, 2009 10:00

You really can't have just one switch for your iSCSI connections.   Each controller has two iSCSI (ethernet ports) each port should be on a separate subnet.

Also,  do not assign your nics that way, make sure one connection for each iSCSI subnet is on different nics.  0 and 1 sure sound like the same dual nic card. If one switch you must Vlan out the two or three subnets for this.  Unmanaged switches require two switches dedicated to just iSCSI one for each subnet.

You management nics and virtual network nic should be on a third subnet still.   Did you buy the MD3000i from dell?   They always include a free training session and setup,  really helps to fully understand the ESX / MD300i relation.....

No Events found!